We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany a Good Base?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
456 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany a Good Base?

Hi all,

I'm a frequent Caribbean traveler and am often on the Caribbean forums, but am just starting to consider a trip to Italy in June 2015 for my 40th birthday. This would be my first trip to Italy, so please bear with my rookie questions. I've checked out the FAQs section, but would still like additional information.

My husband and I would be traveling with another a couple and are talking about renting a villa in Tuscany. We'd like to visit other regions, particularly Rome and the Amalfi Coast, but we may only have a week so I don't want to overbook us with scheduled sightseeing. Would Tuscany be a good base? I understand the trains in Italy are easy to navigate. Would it make more sense to spend a few days in each Tuscany, Rome, and the Amalfi Coast?

There's so much of Italy I'd like to see, but am happy to just stick with a few options for this trip (because of limited time) and visit other areas during another trip. My husband and I are foodies and we all love wine, so we don't want to miss that wonderful Tuscan experience. However, we're open to off-the-beaten path suggestions. We prefer the non touristy areas when traveling, but I'm not educated enough on Italy to know where those places are. We'd also like to consider a cooking class (yes, I guess that's the epitome of "touristy" in Italy - lol).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

You are right to think that a week in all 3 places will be overbooking your trip. One week is just enough for 2 places. Pairing Tuscany with Rome will be best since they are closer to each other than with the Amalfi Coast. Save the Amalfi Coast for another visit.

If you can fly into Pisa or Florence and fly out of Rome, this will save you a lot of time. Pisa and Florence will give you easy access to traveling in Tuscany. Villas are mostly in the countryside so you will heard to your villa rental if you land in Florence or Pisa. Spend 4 nights in a Tuscan town and take a day trip to another. Take the train to Rome and spend 3 nights in Rome. Travel back home. You can also reverse this sample itinerary.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

It's easy to spend a full week in Rome and not run out of things to do, especially if you visit the museums and many churches. Many do a day trip by train to Florence. Tuscany is more like a country vacation visiting small villages, and you can spend time in Florence which is larger. For a first trip to Europe I caution to not over crowd your agenda (been there done that!). Start with a guide book to get a general idea of what might interest you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,066 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

Check www.delta.com for a multi city air ticket, fly into Pisa and out of Rome

Airport buses Pisa to Florence www.terravision.eu Rome Termini www.sitbusshuttle.com or train "Leonardo Express"

Trains Florence (Firenze) to Rome www.trenitalia.com www.italotreno.it Click on the UK flag for current train times

Excursions by Trenitalia train, from Florence to Pisa in the morning, later train to Lucca, returning by train from Lucca to Florence. Bus Florence to Siena www.busfox.com/timetable

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.discovertuscany.com www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

New Jersey
Level Contributor
456 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

Thanks, all, for your great responses. You provided fantastic information. I think we may fly into Rome, spend a few days there, and then head over to Tuscany/Florence, and fly home from there. Does anyone know if Tuscan villas offer rentals for less than a week?

Also, to get an idea on airfare in June 2015, I ran a search for this June. To fly from NYC to Rome, and then Florence/Pisa to NYC was around $1,400 per person. Does anyone know if this is typically what I should expect?

Stay tuned - I'm sure I'll have many more questions on train logistics, villas, restaurants, and more!

Thank you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
456 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

Bump

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,066 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

If the airfare is cheaper flying in and out of Rome go for it, and take the train back to Rome.

Vacation rentals check www.venere.com www.vrbo.com www.airbnb.com www.ownersdirect.co.uk

Edited: 07 March 2014, 03:07
7. Re: Tuscany a Good Base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:29