We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time travelling solo

Winnipeg, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
First time travelling solo

Hi there, I suppose to start I should say that I'm 18, male, and living in Canada.

I've never traveled outside of North America. However, between May and July I'd like to visit Europe. My number one destination has always been Italy.

I would like to visit Venice, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and end off with Naples.

The thought of traveling alone is fine to me, it even makes me excited. However, one of the only things that 'scares' me about it would be the transportation.

Getting there and back isn't the problem, the problem lies with getting around when I'm there.

I understand that there are high-speed trains that go province-to-province (not entirely sure about the process there).

My main question would be: How does one get around the cities themselves?

I would say I'm in good shape, I plan to walk as much as possible. However, I know there's going to be times that I'll need some other sort of transportation (I.e. airport to hotel or general destination to destination within cities)

Thanks for taking the time to reading my question :)

Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
See Amalfi Coast
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Rome Chauffeur
Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time travelling solo

Transport works like everywhere in the world.

Check trenitalia.com for trains between a city to the other.

In every city there is a huge, modern and eaay system of bus and tram, plus metro in rome and Naples. In Venice you can use vaporetto. Just notice that if you're staying in tge center they are really walkable (you can walk all through Venice and Florence city centre in one hour).

Enhoy your stay and don't worry to much.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,495 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time travelling solo

Sounds like a great adventure.

Pre-booking your city-to-city train travel can save you a lot of money. You'll be locked into a timetable as these reduced fare tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable, but if you're traveling on a budget the savings can be significant. You can start booking four months prior so you should be looking right now.

Getting around each town isn't difficult. Venice is very walkable, augmented by the occasional vaporetto ride (public water buses). The historic hearts of Florence, Rome, and Naples are actually quite compact and you can walk through most of them. Remember, however, that you'll be there in the height of the tourist season so everywhere will be crowded, and that it will be very hot, which may slow you down a bit.

3. Re: First time travelling solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now