We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

Hi, I am looking for some advice on a possible itinerary for an 8-9 week trip to Europe. While I have done a lot of USA, I have minimal knowledge on Europe. We will be going in April -Jul 2015.

It will be my husband and myself as well as three children (11,9 & 7).

A rough guide of what we are considering is :

Italy

Spain

France

Germany

Belgium

Netherlands

England

We know the best advice is to go slow and to not try and fit too much in, so we are considering staying in each place for around a week.

We need advice on accomodation (we are happy to stay in family room hostels / camps), transport (considering rail as the best option??) and

general sight seeing ideas.

Any help you can give me to get this very daunting task started will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks..

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,420 reviews
from US$109.41*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

Trouble is, Italy, Spain France etc are big and a week in each will barely scratch the surface.

So are you intending to just travel to one city in each country and stay put, exploring that city and maybe take a few day trips, or will you want to move around? Each time you move you basically waste almost a day in moving out, taking transport and getting to your new lodgings.

And while places such as the Netherlands, Belgium and Paris, France are close enough for good train travel, as is Paris to London, Italy and Spain are a bit further afield. You may need cheap airlines. Check costs on Skyscanner.

I would say workable for a week for each city, otherwise probably exhausting with children, travel, luggage and changes of accommodation.

As to sight seeing, you truly need some guide books. Maybe the big Dorling Kindersley "Europe"

http://tinyurl.com/mct86lq

for an overview. The kids will enjoy choosing some of the sights to see in each city. It is really impossible for us to advise as we don't even know cities you are visiting as yet.

As a plan of attack we usually decide

# Countries

# cities in order

# travel means between

# draw up itinerary

# change itinerary about 20 times

# look at entry point and air to there and home from your final stop (these do NOT need to be the same)

# look at cheapest time of booking (Earlybird fares etc. Our travel agent is a gem but not all are)

# book fare and ensure travel insurance (Platinum CCs often give good insurance for free. We have used ANZ)

# book accommodation (consider apartments when staying a week and for enough space for your family)

Have fun!

Lynn

www.nickbooth.id.au

Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

Wow! Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. We are so early in the planning stage, I even need advice on whether to move around or stay put in a city (as you mentioned). Do you think that is the way to go? While we want to see the obvious attractions - we really want to experience the people and the culture.. Should we consider leaving Spain out?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

Check for multi city air ticket to save back tracking, fly into London and out of Rome www.singaporeair.com and www.emirates.com

London to Paris trains www.eurostar.com book 120 days in advance for best value train fares

Trains from Paris through France www.voyages-sncf.com

Trains Paris to Belgium and Amsterdam www.thalys.com

Flights Amsterdam to Barcelona www.easyjet.com www.vueling.com www.transavia.com

Spanish trains www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/inde.html

Spanish domestic flights www.vueling.com

Spain to Germany flights www.easyjet.com www.vueling.com www.airberlin.com

Germany trains www.bahn.de/en

Flights Germany to Italy www.airberlin.com www.germanair.com www.easyjet.com

Italian trains www.trenitalia.com

www.visitlondon.com www.timeout.com/london www.londonforfree.net www.visitbritain.com UK trains www.nationalrail.co.uk

www.parisinfo.com www.timeout.com/paris www.france.com

www.visitbelgium.com www.Iamsterdam.com

www.spain .info

www.visitgermany.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 04 March 2014, 08:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

You may not need a week in Amsterdam or Belgium but I really would give a week to a city in each other country and take some side trips if possible.

London so much to do here but you might manage a tour to Stonehenge.

Eurostar to Paris (book well in advance for best prices)

Paris day trip to Disneyland (if you must) and to Versailles, the rest in Paris (remember it will be 6 sightseeing days, not 7)

Some ideas tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g187147-c205942/Pa…

Rome maybe a long day trip to Pompeii though it is a very long day. You might be able to steal from Netherlands/Belguim for a few days in Venice. Rome to Venice by train.

Spain, I would choose Barcelona. It has a great beach area as well as old city centre and then all the Gaudi architecture including the Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. See on our website referenced above.

Can't really comment on Germany. We haven't really been there.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

If you aren't set with Germany I'd skip ot with a week on the Austrian Alps: you can break up with cities and let your children enjoy nature and scenery.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

Firstly, surely there must be places you know you really want to include before you've even opened a Europe guidebook? Paris, London, Cinque Terre, Venice, Barcelona, Berlin???

"we really want to experience the people and the culture.. Should we consider leaving Spain out?"

Should you consider leaving Spain out? Should you consider leaving Germany out? Both are big countries (in European terms at least) with lots of variety. The same is true of France and Italy. A week in any one is a short stay. As you say you want to experience the people and the culture I think you'd be better to reduce the number of countries drastically and look at staying in two or 3 areas in a two of the larger countries, plus (a suggestion) Amsterdam and London which are both easy to fit in with other countries either by rail or flying

bahn.de is a good websitye for checking rail connections in Europe (not just in Germany).

skyscanner is a site where you can check flight options generally. Easyjet probably has the most connections between all the different countries, most other airlines have a hub in their home-countries (vueling for Spain, germanwings, airberlin for Germany, transavia for the Netherlands etc

Re Tabata's suggestion of mountains: depending on how it fits in ultimately, Italy and France also have mountains (the Alps, the Pyrenees for France, the Alps and the Dolomites for Italy)

Edited: 04 March 2014, 22:43
7. Re: Itinerary ideas for 8 week trip to Europe with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:18