We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car/insurance confusion

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car/insurance confusion

I know there is alot of information on this topic but I need to confirm that I am correct in my thinking. So I appreciate your answers/advice.

There will be 6 of us renting two cars for two weeks in September.

I have decided to go with Autoeurope.com and will also compare the quote to AutoEurope's UK site as I have heard that sometimes the prices may be better. Autoeurope US is having a sale on right now so not sure that will be the case.

But when it comes down to insurance, that's when I start to geting confused.

If something were to happen to the car, we just want to walk away and not have charges show up on the credit card months down the road. We also don't want any holds on the credit card while we are driving it.

Here are the terms I am having problems with and what I think they mean:

Fully refundable excess (deductible) - If we were to have an accident or if car was stolen, we would pay initially but would get refunded by autoeurope - which means filling out paperwork, getting police reports, etc. Not sure if there would be holds on the credit card?

No insurance excess (deductible) - no deductable - meaning I drop car off with damage or if it is stolen I can just walk away - no paperwork to mess with(except police reports), no holds on the credit card.

So if I just want to walk away, I should get a car with the No Insurance excess?

I know this will increase the price, but I don't want any surprises when I get home.

And just a few extra question:

When we show up to get the car, will they ask us if we want any other type of insurance?

Thanks much. Really appreciate the advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car/insurance confusion

If you want to be able to just walk away, choose the "No insurance excess" option. However, the rental company will still put a hold on your card in case you return it empty or so dirty that it has to be extensively cleaned.

If you choose "No insurance excess" and are offered extra insurance, point out that you are already full insured.

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car/insurance confusion

Thank you sydneynick! Appreciate the feedback!

3. Re: Renting a car/insurance confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:23