We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charge cards

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Charge cards

Heard something about charge cards from the States not being able to be used in Europe. Something about chips being in the cards in Europe. Is this true? Will I have to contact my card issuer and get a new card for use in Europe. Will be in Italy and France, are the cards the same in those 2 countries?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charge cards

You shouldn't have any problems, just let the cc's know when and where you are going so they won't freeze them due to a fraud alert.

This thread from last month provides more info:

tripadvisor.com/…55863418

I only use my Capitol One M/C (no transaction/conversion fees) for hotels and larger purchases, otherwise I use cash (my atm cards work with no problem). Italian banks do not charge.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charge cards

Thanks for the info ocpony. Do you know if it's the same threw all of Europe? We will be visiting Paris also.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,713 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charge cards

we have used magnetic strip cards without problem in Italy, Spain and France during the last year and never had any trouble having them accepted wherever credit cards are accepted. (there are small restaurants, particularly in the countryside that don't take any cards) you can't use them in machines which is a pain e.g. to get train tickets, metro tickets, most places on toll roads etc etc. they will work in the ticket machines at the Louvre. what this means practically is that when Europeans are grabbing tickets from machines, you will have to line up and use a manned kiosk. We missed the train to Giverny because the line was over an hour -- we just bought the tickets, finally, and went the next day.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charge cards

Thanks janettravels44, think I'll make some calls and see if I can get the cards with the chips. Were not going till June, so I have some time. Would like the convenience of using the machines.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charge cards

Last time we went it was an inconvenience so we just got Marriott Rewards Visa Signature card issued by Chase.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,713 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charge cards

the US chip and signature cards don't work in machines in Europe either. and chip and pin cards will only work if they are part of the system there. my husband has had an Amex card with a chip for years and it doesn't work in the machines in Europe.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charge cards

Have you tried the Marriott Rewards Visa Signature card issued by Chase in Europe yet caseymorgan?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charge cards

If the Marriott card is "chip-and-signature", it will not work in ticket and other machines in Europe. These machines require a PIN.

9. Re: Charge cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:20