We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

Planning a visit to Italy in the third week of May, 2014 (starting approx. 19th May). We are a family of 4 - 2 Adults + 2 kids (14 & 9). We have been to Venice, Florence & Rome in our last trip - so skipping those. Here is what I had in mind:-

1. Area around the Amalfi coast, Pompeii - Must See

2. Pisa - Would like to see the Leaning Tower

3. Lake Como ?

4. Milan - not sure

I would definitely do #1, would like to do #2.

Not sure whether #3 or #4 are worth it. Or maybe replace #3 and #4 by something else.

Looking for advise on planning this trip.

I plan to take a train from Austria (either Innsbruck or Klagenfurt) & arrive in Italy on Day 1.. My return flight would be out of Rome - early morning on the 6th day. So would like to near Rome at the end of 5th day - or better still would like to be back in Rome in the evening of 5th day.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,420 reviews
from US$109.41*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,173 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

hi: you have 5 days and you want to go to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii (your 'must see'), also to Pisa and hopefully Lake Como and Milan (or someplace else) AND you're flying out of Rome on the 6th day. I am presuming you're taking trains to everything. All the places you mentioned are "worth it" but you can't visit these destinations in 5 days. Pisa is not a day-trip from Pompeii. Do you have a guide book? Reading up will provide tons of information and help you to a more manageable itinerary. In my opinion, you can either concentrate on a northern visit OR a southern.

Looking at your post tells me that you only wish to stay 1/2 day in most places because you will be on a train 1/2 day each time you change cities. And you will change hotels nearly every night. And of course, get back to Rome the night before your flight.

SO I would think with kids, going to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii and the surrounds (perhaps a day-trip to Naples) would be a GREAT ADVENTURE and that would be my first choice....you would be closer to Rome as well. Your family is going in high season -- lodging needs to be made as soon as possible.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

Your first day arriving in Italy is really going to be a short day. Personally I would spend all of my time in the Naples/Amalfi Coast area...there is so much to see and do there (and it is so beautiful), and use the last day to get back to Rome, get a hotel room and walk around the great city before getting up the next morning and going to the airport. As you mentioned you want to see Pompeii...that will eat up most of one day. How about Capri, that is a lovely day trip. Naples is worth a whole day. Amalfi and Ravello are a day trip. Positano is a day trip. My advice is to train directly to Naples and stay overnight there and see what you can that day. Then tranfer to Sorrento for four nights and do Pompeii by rail one day, Capri by boat the next, Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello by boat at your leisure. Of course instead of Sorrento you could spend a couple of nights in Positano and see the AC from there. But trying to get to Pisa, Milan, and Lake Como seems to be a bit much to me...of course you could 'say' you had seen those places after such a trip, but I am assuming you understand that you won't even have time to scratch the surface of each place. Of course, that is just my opinion! Hope you have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

You have time basically for one area - no more than that - not, as mentioned above, unless you want to spend all your precious few days just moving around from place to place.

Naples, Pompei, the AC is a good choice for just five days. You could also go to Capri (www.capri.net) or Ischia (another island) while there - actually see something vs the inside of train stations and trains.

Do try to the spend the night in Rome before your flight home - too big a risk to not try to get there on the same day as you could have train delays, etc.

Just getting from the Amalfi Coast back to Rome will take 4 plus hours -

AC - www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Naples is loaded with amazing treasures - far more to see than in just a few days, but you could spend one of your days there if you like - your guidebook will reveal your choices for not only Naples but everywhere else in the region.

In the long run, it is your (obviously) trip but, trying to fit all in five short days just isn't doable - well, not in a way to enjoy or have fun anyway.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

Thanks for the valuable advise.

So I will drop the Northern part altogether (Milan, Lake Como, etc) and focus on Amalfi, Pompeii & Naples.

I guess I would be taking a train (from Innsbruck ) and arrive in Naples. Where should I base myself to cover these areas ? Should I be in Naples for the first day & then in Sorrento for the next 3-4 days & from there take the train back to Rome on 5th day ? Which place would be most friendly from a train / public transport point of view ?

5. Re: Need advise on Itinerary - Amalfi, Pisa, etc - 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20