We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

I am planning on travelling to Northern Italy in June 2014 for 1 week to do a whirlwind tour, with the intention of returning at a later date to see the things I have missed.

So far all I have booked are my flights so am open to any advice and suggestions on must sees and dos.

I intend on doing the majority of my travel by train.

My rough idea at the moment (based on my flights) is to arrive in Pisa early Saturday evening and stay in a hotel in Pisa for two nights, giving me effectively an evening and a full day. On Monday morning I plan to travel to Florence where I will spend the day and night. On Tuesday I plan to travel to Venice for two nights. Thursday night I plan to stay in Verona and Friday night in Milan. I fly back to the UK from Milan on Saturday afternoon.

Any hints, tips, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I away to carry on with my travel guide reading.

Thanka

Walkabout Florence Tours
Day Trips, Food Tours, Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

What do you plan on seeing in Pisa that would warrant more time than Florence?

Changing cities eats up a big chunk of the day (pack, check out of hotel, get from hotel to train station, find track, train ride, get from train station to hotel, check in, drop bags, now it is likely time for lunch). So I try to cut down on 1-night stays as much as possible.

You can see Verona as a day trip from Venice, which would save time.

Good job for carry-on only, as you will need to be able to get your own luggage onto the trains and into the overhead bins by yourself.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

Trains connecting Pisa, Florence, Venice, Verona and Milan www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

You can book intercity trains online 120 days in advance for cheap fares, though they have restrictions.

Buses operate from Pisa airport into Pisa, and you can visit Lucca by bus or train from Pisa.

www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca www.visitflorence.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice www.tourism.verona.it/en

www.ciaomilano.com www.timeout.com/milan

Trenitalia train Milan to Malpensa Aeroporto, Buses Milan Central to Linate and Bergamo airports.

Accommodation www.venere.com

Have fun !

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

Thanks Nurioopta for your reply, the information is really helpful and greatly appreciated.

Vicky

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

Hi Engred,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I am staying in Pisa for 2 nights rather than Florence is purely because I don't arrive in Pisa airport until 1800 hours on Saturday 21st, however I am open to the suggestion of staying that Saturday night only and travelling to Florence early evening on Sunday 22nd and staying there for two nights if you think that would be beneficial.

As a child we did a lot of fly drives and as an adult a bit of back backing so am accustomed to packing light for ease of repacking and also for travelling with my luggage.

In relation to your suggestion of doing a day trip to Verona from Venice, I have decided to stay overnight in Verona as I have to get to Milan to catch my flight home at 1600 hours on Saturday 28th and it would seem a little pointless to travel from Venice to Verona for the day, back to Venice and then onwards to Milan, passing Verona just to allow me to stay a third night in Venice.

Any suggestions on MUST sees and dos in Pisa, Florence, Venice, Verona and Milan would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Vicky

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

Read the Websites in #2

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

I assume you have never been to this part of Italy before.

I don't want to knock Pisa -- I think it's a very nice city, especially away from the leaning tower. But on such a short trip, I can't imagine spending 2 nights in Pisa and only one in Florence. I would just take the train to Florence from the airport when you arrive -- I imagine it would take no more than 2 or 3 hours from the minute you step off the plane till you arrive at your hotel in Florence --and save Pisa for another time (you said you planned to return). So that would give you 3 nights in Florence. I also suggest 3 nights in Venice ( personally, I can't imagine spending less than 4 nights in either Florence or Venice). I suggest you stop in Verona for maybe a half day and a meal on your way to Milan by train, and spend the last night in Milan. Verona is a stop on the rail line from Venice to Milan. If you have your heart set on staying in Verona, then spend the last night in Verona, instead of Milan, and take the train to the airport the day of departure.

For me both Florence and Venice are all about art, architecture, history and maybe modern local culture (lifestyle?). I suggest you get a good guidebook and read up on the things that most interest you. Train is a very good way to get around (and spot places you might like to stop on a future trip).

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
11,166 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

hi: i know you said 'whirlwind tour' but if i have this right, you actually have SIX full days/7 nights (arrival night and morning of departure not counted)....i realize you need to spend arrival night in Pisa, so strongly recommend that you leave Pisa by mid-morning after you've visited the Field of Miracles ...and go directly to Florence by train and stay there 2.5 days, which equals 3 nights (with possibly day-trip to Siena!)---then take the train to Venice and stay 2.5 days, which equals 3 nights---then take the train back to Milan and stay 1/2 day, which equals 1 night (total 6 days/7 nights) and fly out on day #7.......those 1/2 days account for your transport from point A to point B....

8. Re: Itinerary help - Whirlwind tour of Northern Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:26