My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary! We will be landing in Rome on April 16th, and departing from Milan very early in the morning on April 29th, where we will be flying to Funchal, Madeira for 3 days, and then off to London for another quick 3 1/2 days before returning home to the US on May 6th. We were granted 2 tickets for the Papal Mass on Easter Sunday, so the first part of our trip has been planned, and this is what we have so far:
April 16th, Arrive in Rome - Small Group Tour of the Vatican in the afternoon (Booked)
April 17th, Tour Rome (haven't decided if we will do this on our own or take a tour)
April 18th, Train to Naples - Final Destination Positano (Hotel Pupetto) - trying to determine the best way to get to Positano... Private transfer from Naples can be pretty pricey, Also considering second train into Sorrento then Hyrdrofoil to Positano? We will be leaving the bulk of our luggage in Rome, as we will be returning to the same hotel, and will only have an overnight bag.
April 19th, Enjoy a lazy morning, and the day in Positano, head back to Rome late afternoon/early evening.
April 20th, Easter Sunday Mass in the morning, Borghese Gallery late afternoon (booked)
April 21st ?
April 27th ?
April 28th - Milan - Stay at the Sheraton Milapanesa
April 29th - 5:55am flight
So far so good... more or less, even though I still have some things to work out. However, once we leave Rome the morning of April 21st, we have a list of places we want to see and go, and I am not sure of:
1) the best order/route to take to make the most of our time,
2) If it's even possible to see/do everything we want in the days we have left,
3) Is there some place amazing that I am forgetting, and maybe should add to my list, or swap out a less desirable destination?
4) all this while trying to remember the fact that we are on vacation! I don't want to feel like we have a rigorous schedule to keep.
5) April 22nd is our actual anniversary. Would love to be in a lovely Tuscan Village, and find a small chapel where we can ask the local priest to allow us to renew our vows and have him bless our marriage. This is a dream of mine more so that my husband's =).
Here is the list of places we would like to see/visit:
We are not opposed to renting a car, but once we leave Rome. Is there a good "Home Base" area that we could use for 2 or 3 days here and there? or are we looking at a different city/hotel every night? We are not Hotel snobs... meaning we don't have to stay in "5 Star" hotels, since we are going to see the country and not stay at the hotel. As long as it is clean, has an in-room bath, and a comfortable bed. And while we might splurge a night here or there on accommodations (which I expect will be the case in Venice) we are trying to be modest with the amount of money we spend on lodging. Would rather spend our money on food and wine! =D
Sorry for the long history/question. If you read the whole post, then you are truly a good person who want to help, so please know that your advice is greatly appreciated!