We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting euros for Italy trip

Quakertown...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Getting euros for Italy trip

I'm taking a trip to Italy in April and can't figure out whether I should go to my bank here and get Euros or wait til I get to Italy to get Euros. I've heard that there are ATMs in the Rome airport and should wait until I get there and use the ATM at the airport. Any suggestions?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting euros for Italy trip

This depends on whether you care about extra fees or not. Some banks will charge your bank account fees for ATM transactions outside your home country. No ATM in Europe will charge you fees, it's your home bank. It may be cheaper to buy the Euros from your home bank and pay the service charge. Regardless, though, I'd buy some Euros to bring with you to handle the first few hours of your visit. About E100 would do, the first E50 would go on the taxi ride into Rome to your hotel.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting euros for Italy trip

I think you'll get the best exchange rate at ATMs once you get to Italy.

But I agree it's a good idea to have some euros before you go. I typically get a couple hundred euros to tide me over for a few days.

If you use ATMs in Italy, be sure to call your bank first to let them know you'll be doing this. Otherwise you may have trouble getting money from your account while over there.

Good luck.

3. Re: Getting euros for Italy trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50