We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Rome to Spain and Portugal

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Topic
From Rome to Spain and Portugal

I am from Hong Kong, will arrive Rome at 6 Jul, plan to go to Spain and last station is Portugal. Will back to Hong Kong at at 18 Jul,

Would like to ask :

1. Should I buy return flight ticket from Rome<-> Hong Kong or one way ticket from Hong Kong to Rome then Portugal to Hong Kong , which way is cheaper?

2. Should I buy Eurail Italy-Spain Pass from Rome to Spain and Eurail Portugal-Spain Pass from Spain to Portugal or take the flight?

Thanks a lot!

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,186 Reviews
from US$78.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
533 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,876 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,785 Reviews
from US$112.60*
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,098 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Rome to Spain and Portugal

1. We cannot know all flight prices between these cities, you will have to research them yourself for your dates using skyscanner, bravofly or other website (or travel agency in HK). It may be cheaper to book a "return flight" with the same airline - or as these are in fact generally considered separately, it may not. It also depends on what choice of flights - direct and indirect, e.g. via BKK/the Middle East/European airport - you have between HK and Rome and between Lisbon and HK: Cathay Pacific flies to/from Rome but not Lisbon or Madrid.

Once you have done some basic research, you may need to ask further questions in the air travel forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

2. This is actually 2 questions:

A. "Should I buy Eurail Italy-Spain Pass from Rome to Spain and Eurail Portugal-Spain Pass from Spain to Portugal"

NO! For a start, this would mean (unless adjusting dates) paying twice for Spain, for another, you don't need a pass for Italy, in addition, a pass is rarely the most economical buy when your only trip in any country is 1 in and 1 out (which might be your situation, we don't know), and on top of that, you seem to be forgetting that you would have to cross France between Italy and Spain! You need to decide WHERE you want to go in Italy - apart from Rome - Spain and Portugal, and to work out your exact itinerary (city A to city B to city C to city D) to check prices.

B. "(Should I travel by train), or take the flight?"

If you would only doing e.g. Rome-Barcelona/Madrid-Lisbon: fly (Rome-Barcelona by train takes 24+ hours with 3-7 changes..). For trips WITHIN each country, it would normally be better to take trains - or for some trips, inter-city buses. But you need to work out your itinerary before you can consider how you are going to get between the places concerned. Once you have done that, come back to TA for further help - to the Italy forum if it specifically concerns Italy, or the train travel forum for multiple countries: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Rome to Spain and Portugal

Check for a multi city air ticket www.emirates.com Hong Kong to Rome and Lisbon to Hong Kong

Fly Rome to Barcelona and Barcelona to Lisbon www.vueling.com

www.rome.info www.timeout.com Lazio region www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcelona www.spain.info

www.golisbon.com www.visitportugal.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

3. Re: From Rome to Spain and Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 05:17