We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using local ATMs after April 18,2014

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
using local ATMs after April 18,2014

With the upcoming changes / Microsoft updates, how will that affect our using local bank ATMs in Italy and other European countries. Should we be prepared by taking more euros?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

What exact changes are you referring to and has your bank informed you whether any of these changes will affect your bankcard?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

Google cannot locate anything about software changes on 18 April. I find it hard to believe that anything would be planned that would affect the international acceptance of debit cards at ATMs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

In two days from now no less -

I too am curious but doubt anything is in play to prevent millions of people from being able to use their credit and debit cards within 48 hours of now.

You will likely have trouble using your magnetic card(s) in the machines at the train station for train tickets but that is the only place I have run into the problem personally though I usually only use my credit cards for hotels and larger purchases and use cash most of the time that I get from ATM machines.

Let us know to what you are referring; it is intriguing….

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

Oops, - I fast forwarded in my mind by one month - I was thinking March 18, not April 18 - still, never read anything yet on something like this -

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

I can not see how this affects Euros, ATMs, bankcards and people using any of this in Europe what-so-ever?

theverge.com/2014/3/6/5479390/windows-8-1-up…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

An update to Windows will have no effect at all on the mainframe machines used by banks.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

Got the date wrong: April 8 marks ends of

microsoft tech support of Windows XP operating system. Quoting from local newspaper, "30% of globally connected computers use system to do business. So after April 8 if your bank no longer receives updates to it's software for some ATMs....consider your information vulnerable"

How do we know if local banks in Europe will be making the switch?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

I would think it is pretty unlikely that any ATM systems are run on Windows XP. In any case, Microsoft's decision only means there will be no more updates for XP. Existing systems using XP will continue to work.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,688 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

ATMs will be at risk and vulnerable if not upgraded.

Report: 95 Percent of the ATMs in the World Still Run Windows XP

slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/03/14/wind…

ATMs Face Deadline to Upgrade From Windows XP

businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-16/atms-fa…

Vagabonda

Edited: 18 March 2014, 11:20
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: using local ATMs after April 18,2014

Thanks Vagabonda; that's unnerving. Hard to imagine they aren't getting their ducks in a row worldwide given the consequences, but anything (as we have seen) is possible.

(Hope you are doing well….)