We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, Sorrento, Venice

Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Rome, Sorrento, Venice

Hi,

Me and My sister are planning to go backpacking across europe and Italy is where we want to spend most of our time. We would like to visit Rome, Sorrento and Venice.

Our budget is not much as we are students, is buying a eurorail pass a good idea?

What amount of time will we need to travel all these 3 places? Is a week good?

We are also planning to visit portugal, spain and Amsterdam.

Please help as we are confused as to how to go about it

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, Sorrento, Venice

A week for all three of those places? Or, a week in each?

A week for all three is not much at all given the amount of travel time involved - and how much there is to see in Venice and Rome and explore in the area on the Mediterranean. For just a week, I would choose two destinations - whichever are of most interest.

You don't say when you are going - if in the summer, that is high season and prices are high and especially on the seaside, places will have been booked up now for quite awhile

Without you saying what your budget it, it's hard for people to make suggestions; you can check www.venere.com and www.booking.com for lodging - you can sort by budget, room needs, etc.

No to the eurail pass - it is not a good deal for train travel in Italy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, Sorrento, Venice

The time you have you could visit Venice and Rome, connecting trains www.trenitalia.com www.italotreno.it

Click on the UK flag for current train times and fares.

You can purchase discount train tickets 120 days in advance, though they carry restrictions.

www.hostelworld.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, Sorrento, Venice

A week is not enough time to see Rome, Venice and Sorrento.

Eurail passes are rarely a good option in Italy - point to point tickets are best.

Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, Sorrento, Venice

Hi planning to go in september, just a week over all because i would like to send some time in Netherlands as well. Budget would be around 200 to 350 pounds.

5. Re: Rome, Sorrento, Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:17