We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Italian Vacay

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Italian Vacay

My wife is planning a hectic vacation throughout Italy's four major cities in less than two weeks. Flying into Venice and out of Rome and staying in Florence and Milan along the way. This seems to really limit our experience in each city. I've voiced my concern and have now been tasked with coming up with my own itinerary.

I definitely want be a nerdy tourist in Rome for a good amount of time. My wife wants some beach and relaxation after being a tourist for a few days. It would be great to take a regional train somewhere "beachy," maybe in a little Italian town with good food/wine to really get the feel of Italian living.

Anybody have a nice vacation plan in mind that would work for us? Rome tourism followed by relaxation. No driving our own car and flying to and from Rome I think, too.

Thanks so much for any help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Italian Vacay

Fly into Milan or Venice and out of Rome, Trains Connecting Milan - Venice - Florence - Rome www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

Nearest beaches to Venice, Lido di Jesolo bus www.atvo.it Florence, Viareggio train Trenitalia, Rome, Santa Marinella train Trenitalia.

www.ciaomilano.com www.timeout.com/milan

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

www.discovertuscany.com

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 18 March 2014, 21:25
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Italian Vacay

It sounds like a week in Rome and a week on the Amalfi Coast would suit you two nicely. Or look into the islands in the Bay of Naples, such as Capri, Ischia, and if you really want to get away from tourists, Procida.

The train, combined with buses or boats will get you to these places easily.

Good luck.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Italian Vacay

You say in the first part of your post that you are flying into Venice and out of Rome.

Then, 'flying to and from Rome I think".... Which is it, makes a difference in a 'plan'.

Usually flying from the east coast to Italy is arrival in the morning (unless there's a connection). So basically your arrival day is 1/2 day and the last day of your 2 weeks will be a departure day. This leaves you with 12.5 days "feet on the ground".

You post also says your wife is planning a hectic vacation......in two weeks? Do you mean FOR two weeks?

Venice has a beach at Lido. Rome at Ostia (and a some others). Nurioopta has provided other sites too.

You only have a short time in Italy, IMO, I wouldn't visit Milan.

www.trenitalia.com for schedules (use the Italian names, Venice - Venezia S. Lucia; Florence - Firenze S.M. Lucia and Rome - Roma Termini.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Italian Vacay

Thank you for your responses. Just to clarify, we'll be flying into Itally from Brussels after having spent a week there for work. We plan to be in Italy June 12-22. We're still undecided as to where we should fly into and out of. I just know I want to spend a good amount of time in Rome. The Amalfi Coast sounds like a great idea, too.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 22:25
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Italian Vacay

I agree with a week in Rome followed by a week on the Amalfi Coast. From Positano, you can visit Capri, Amalfi/Ravello and Salerno via ferry (if traveling between Easter and October).

Fly into Rome and out of Naples.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,972 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Italian Vacay

hi: poster 2 had a good suggestion, trying to fit in your "time on the ground" as well as two different travel desires while in Italy. I would concentrate on creating a fabulous itinerary in Rome, Bay of Naples and the Amalfi Coast area. You really don't want to be going in and out of hotels and on trains every other day.... i'd definitely skip Milan and when you look at where Venice is, i'd skip it as well .....go another time when you can relax and enjoy Venice, Florence and the Tuscany hillside towns. Doesn't that sound better? This trip can be your Rome/Naples/AC adventure.

Remember to ADD 1/2 day transport from each point A to point B .... and to be in your departure city the night before you leave.

7. Re: First Italian Vacay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:17