We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine on trains?

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wine on trains?

Is it legal to bring your own wine (to consume) when traveling on trains in Italy? It is something I hadn't ever considered on previous trips but we are going with another couple in Sept/Oct and they asked me about it.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks ~

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine on trains?

I have never seen anyone doing it but this previous post answer by our resident train expert says yes it is ok

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k5646300…

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine on trains?

Thank you so much.

Like you, I have never seen anyone doing it either. I just always want to follow the laws wherever I am. I didn't know how to ask sydneynick specifically (other than to send a message).

Greatly appreciated!

Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine on trains?

My DH and I always brought along a lunch and bottle of wine when we rode the trains. Plan on doing it again next month.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,047 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine on trains?

I've done it, in full view of other passengers and the conductor and no one has ever said a word to us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine on trains?

I am assuming you bring glasses too? Or can you get them from the dining car. I love the idea of a picnic, have eaten some dreadful train food over the years.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine on trains?

There may or may not be a dining car: often there is a trolley with things that might optimistically be described as food. The dining staff on the train want to sell you their wine, and are unlikely to provide glasses for you to drink your own wine.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,047 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine on trains?

It's just like a picnic anywhere else, you've got to bring everything you'd want/need. Don't forget the corkscrew!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine on trains?

Like sydneynick, I just can't envisage the train staff letting you have their glasses you'd better bring your own along with the corkscrew.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine on trains?

I remember this thread about wine on trains

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k70513…

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine on trains?

You can bring every food and drink you want on trains, including every kind of alcohol: there isn't any law against public alcohol consumption in italy. That said, I don't think it's the most polite thing to do: italians drink alcohol in specific circumstances, outside of them drinking wine or beer is really weird. You won't break any law by opening a bottle of wine on the train but people will probably laugh about you.