We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

Hi everybody,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Italy and France for our 1st year anniversary. At the moment our itinerary looks something like this:

8/28-9/2 Rome

9/2-9/5 Venice

9/6-9/11 Paris

We would really love to incorporate Lake Como, Cinque Terre, and a part of the French Riviera into our itinerary, but it seems a lot more convenient if we leave them out because then we can take an overnight train or flight directly from Venice to Paris.

Any suggestions on how any or all of these places can be conveniently mixed into our itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Of course if we included any of these places, we would add days to our trip. Thanks!!!

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

Your plan seems perfect, you take the right toime needed to enjoy 3 of the most beautiful cities in the world. I really wouldn't add anything at all. Enjoy your trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

I would keep it at the three places and I do not recommend the night train Venice to Paris. Distinctly unromantic bunk beds in the highest class carriage, communal loo at the end of the carriage and actually quite expensive.

Trying to add other places this trip will involve very fiddly train trips. Save them for another time.

Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

I agree that your plan looks good as it is. The only possibility for an addition would be if you could get a flight from Milan to Paris. If that's the case, you could add a few days in Lake Como after Venice. But you should consider this only if you can add extra days to your trip... don't take any days away from the cities you've already planned. Buon viaggio!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,941 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

Rome airport buses to Rome termini www.sitabusshuttle.com

Trains Rome to Venice www.trenitalia.com www.italotreno.it Click on the UK flag for current train time

Venice Mestre airport bus to Marco Polo airport www.atvo.it

Fly www.easyjet.com Venice to Paris

www.parismetro.com

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

www.parisinfo.com www.timeout.com/paris

Accommodation www.venere.com

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

You can take trains from Venice to Milan from €19, booked at www.trenitalia.com, from where Lake Como is a short local train ride away.

You can then take a Milan to Paris TGV train through the countryside from just €29 (or from €46 in 1st class), pre-booked at www.capitainetrain.com. Booking usually opens 92 days ahead.

There are three daily TGV departures from Milan Porta Garibaldi in central Milan at 06:00, 08:50 and 16:10, arriving Paris Gare de Lyon in central Paris at 13:24, 16:11 & 23:19 respectively.

There's a cafe bar on board or feel free to bring your own picnic and bottle of wine (it's allowed on trains!) and treat the journey as part of the holiday experience, not an interruption to your holiday as the 4 or 5 hours of airports and flight would be.

All seats have power sockets, and the interior is the funky designer one by Christian Lacroix. It's a nice ride via Turin, through the mountains via Modane and Chambery, then a dash at high-speed (186mph) across rural France to Paris.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

If you've never been to France or Italy, I wouldn't miss a couple days on the riviera. Either Cinque Terre Italy or my favorite Villefranche France (right next to Nice)

Valley Stream, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

If you dont mind me asking what is your Itenary? My husband and I are doing the same thing in June.

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

@caseymorgan How would you incorporate them into the itinerary I described in the initial post?

I really appreciate everybody's feedback.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

Just insert Nice after Venice and before Paris. I wouldn't try to do both the Italian and French riviera.

Fly open jaw into Rome and out of Paris. From Rome take the train to Venice. Then fly one of the discount European airline into Nice (I know EasyJet has non-stop cheap flights for example). Then Air France to Paris. Fly home directly from Paris.

10. Re: Rome to Venice to Paris, but something feels missing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20