We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best travel in italy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
best travel in italy

I've never been to Italy, so I thought Rome, Florence and Venice would be good starting points. I would think flying into rome, then train to Florence and train to Venice. But the question is, should I fly back from nearby 2hours I believe Milan or take the train back to Rome and fly out of there? Which is more economical and easier in terms of train travel? I think it's 3 hours from Venice to Rome and 2 hours from Venice to Milan. I see Trip advisor actually has a jfk to Rome and Milan to JFk reasonably priced at 1123. Is it too much to go back to Rome and are there direct train connects to the airport from Venice to Rome or to Milan? Thanks for any ideas.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best travel in italy

Question is (from Venice), "should I fly back from nearby 2 hours I believe Milan or take the train back to Rome and fly out of there? Which is more economical and easier in terms of train travel?"

It takes 3h45 by Frecciargento from Venezia S. Lucia to Roma-Termini (cost if you were travelling today, €80), where you have to change for the Leonardo Express for Rome-Fiumicino Airport, which takes 30 mins (cost €14) (I assume that you can't get to NY from Rome-Ciampino). Total travel time, about 4h30 and maximum cost, €94.

It is 2h35 by Frecciabianca from Venezia S. Lucia to Milano Centrale (buying today for travel today, €37.50), where you have to change for (I presume, as you don't say WHICH of Milan's 3 airports you are considering) the Malpensa Express to Milan-Malpensa Airport, which takes about 45 mins (cost €10). Total travel time, 3 1/2 - 4 hours and maximum cost, €47.50.

There are no direct trains from Venice to either airport. Frecce ticket price will vary depending on how early you buy compared with the date of travel - prices quoted here are for purchase today for travel today.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 12:36
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best travel in italy

Is there a reason you can't fly back to NYC from Venice?

3. Re: best travel in italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:17