We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

lynnville
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

My husband and I will be carrying 1 25" pullman and one carry-on each as we travel by train from Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome and Rome to Naples. Are the stairs/escalators in the train stations really that difficult to access with that much luggage? Our children tell us it's actually dangerous in some stations because there are so many flights of stairs and so steep. Is that too drastic an assessment?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

Take only what you can comfortably carry up and down stairs (the smaller stations often just have stairs to go to certain tracks) - you'll be fine in the larger stations - Venice, Florence, Milano, Roma, Napoli and some others -

I would pack up your bags and see if you can walk up and down stairs without problems.

There are a few about 4 (can't recall how many right now) steep, narrow steps up into the train cars themselves which are the ones I find most awkward - they are very narrow and almost vertical - I find them tricky to maneuver.

I learned to pack incredibly light - even got rid of bags with wheels as that added weight and now I have a medium to small backpack for camera, tech stuff and a really small carry on that is only about 19 or 20 inches (and never go over more than about 12-13 pounds) but, I'm not a strong person (obviously) - that is what I can comfortably carry. Getting rid of the wheeled bags knocked off about 4 or 5 pounds since I had one that was one of the lightest on the market but it was still a hassle for me.

You may well be comfortable lifting and carrying more - but I go for three or more weeks with just that small carry on and smallish backpack, washing items along the way and it is a dream compared to what I used to do when I first began traveling. Now, I have zero problems.

No porters around to help you get your stuff up into and down out of the train cars - I have seen people really just start crying because they had far too much, too large or too heavy bags -

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

All of the stations which you mention are single level access between platforms so you will not need to use the stairs or escalators.

Your only challenge will be getting up the stairs into the railway cars. This can be accomplished by you climbing in first then have your husband hand the bag up to you then you push it off to the side so that he can push the next one up. It's not that difficult for the amount of train travel which you will be doing.

lynnville
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

Thank You - this helps

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

ricardo is right- HOWEVER, please note that there is limited space on trains for big luggage (25"). Those would not fit in the overhead. There is a small space at the end of each car that holds approximately 6-10 big bags. If that is full, you could have a problem.

If you are traveling to those four cities, please consider packing just a 21 or 22" carry-on and a backpack. You can certainly get your clothes laundered half-way through your trip.

Many, many of us travel for 2-4 weeks in Europe with just the small bag and backpack. There are dozens of videos on youtube and travel sites explaining how you can pack lighter. It is so worth checking to see if your hotel half-way through has a laundry service. (My half-way is almost always Florence and my hotel there offers laundry service. I drop my bag of dirty stuff at the front desk and when I get home in the evening, it is clean and folded and waiting on my bed!)

You will so appreciate not dragging two bags each all over Italy!

PS- If you decide to check all your bags at any given point of your trip- you might consider each packing two outfits in the others' suitcase. That way, if someone's luggage is lost, the other person will have at least two outfits to wear.

Good luck!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

We are in Venice wrapping up our travels with similar luggage. I would only advise you to not have more than one rolling suitcase per traveler. It would be frustrating to navigate the sidewalks with more than one rolling bag apiece. Once you get on the trains, you will put your larger bags at the end of the car and smaller ones above. 25s will fit above too in a pinch. Ours are 29s and a good 50lbs each.

Note: Please be aware that there young men who stalk the trains looking for tourists to "help" get bags on the train. They will lift your bags onto the train but will try to extort you for 5euro+ per bag. It is quite unfortunate. Just say no and if you need a hand there will be other clear tourists willing to help. Also be careful with pickpockets. We had one attempt in Florence. We use travel locks to lock down our backpacks when traveling and sightseeing and that seems to work well.

lynnville
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

Thank you so much for all the input. I will take a carry-on and husband will take a rolling garment bag since he and grandson will need sport coats, which is smaller and lighter than a 25 incher. What would we do without all of the experienced advice. While this will be a wonderful trip, it is a bit stressful.

Marjorie

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

This message may come too late, but I'll send it anyway! When I travel to Europe, and I want to take a sportcoat/blazer...I always wear it on the plane or train. I never pack it. Saves a lot of space and I can pack everything in a 21" carryon...which is all I need for 2 weeks. Just wear it and take it on and off and stow it on the train/plane...simple.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

My husband always has a jacket and he wears is in transit. I do the same, so we don't have to pack such things in our carry on rollerboard, which is as big a bag as I want to have to manage on trains. I dn't like leaving a bag at the end of the car as there is a small but real theft issue and there is often no room for bags at the ends of the car as this fills up. I watched a bunch of Spaniards almost come to blows on a train this last spring from Granada to Madrid as they fought over end of car luggage space of which there was nowhere enough for the bags. There is nowhere in the main part of the car for large bags.

A blazer or similar jacket is very practical for travel and doubles for events that require a jacket like dining in very nice restaurants or attending the opera.

9. Re: Travelling by train in Italy with luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 07:17