We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 nights in Italy itinerary assistance

Arlington, Virginia
10 posts
Save Topic
16 nights in Italy itinerary assistance

My husband and I are going to Italy May10-26. We have been to Rome before during part of another trip, but did not get to go anywhere else. We are interested in a balance between seeing great art, eating well and also relaxing a bit, seeing the countyside. We don't want all of our time to be spent in cities but do want to get a taste of them. We enjoy wandering around and coming upon things that interest us more than having a very planned out, activity packed day.

If it were possible, we would have liked to travel without reservations to have the flexibility to stay a bit longer when we want to or leave a bit earlier. I've done this in Ireland, staying at B & Bs and it worked out really well. From what I've read, that may not be advisable in Italy though, especially during May with so many other people visiting. Let me know if anyone disagrees and would recommend booking as we go. We like to keep the cost of accommodations down and are fine with B & Bs, apartments or rooms and occasional hostels or reasonably priced hotels.

I would like some advice on our itinerary. We will be flying into Rome and have booked 4 nights in an apartment. From there, we were thinking of taking a train to Venice, hopefully leaving in the morning so we'd be there by early afternoon. We were thinking to stay 2 nights in Venice and then possibly rent a car and drive to Tuscany, staying for 4 nights. I would welcome recommendations of areas to see and stay in. We were thinking of an agrotourismo farm house. From there, we would hope to return the car in Florence. Is that possible (to pick up a car in Venice and return it in Florence)? We would stay in Florence for 2 nights. I know that is very quick, but if we take a relaxed pace and don't need to see everything, I'm hoping it could work. From there we would take the train to Cinque Terre and stay there 3 nights before heading back to Rome for a final night. Is this packing too much in? I realize one could spend a lot more time in each place, but we are ok just getting a sampling of each area as long as it doesn't feel rushed.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 nights in Italy itinerary assistance

You can easily base yourself in a town close to florence and catch the train in for day trips, for example im staying in montecatini terme, 50 minutes by train. Its a relaxed small town with lots of oldies, a spa retreat and lots of ways to relax. Plenty of day trips in your caee nearby, like drive to siena and lucca. You sound like you want a more relaxed pace, so dont need to stay right in florence. Go on a walking tour and a museum and nice dinner and get train home. Loads of farmhouse accomodation...try windmu.com...and have a great time♡

2. Re: 16 nights in Italy itinerary assistance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:17