We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

I will be traveling for 4 weeks this summer and would like to cover France, Spain, Italy and Greece. I know this is really pushing it, but that's the plan so far. I am willing to cut out a country if I absolutely have to. Below is a rough outline of places I want to see. I obviously have to cut several out, but I don't know which ones! I would really love some input from people who have taken similar trips/know their way around Europe. I really love sightseeing (scenery, landscapes, beaches, etc.), adventurous activities (cliff jumping, diving, hiking, etc), and I'm not huge on museums (like viewing paintings, sculptures, etc). I want to get the most out of my trip and would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments! Thanks :)

France

1. Paris (2 days)

2. Marseille

3. Nice

Spain

1. San Sebastian

2. Madrid

3. Seville

4. Granada

5. Valencia

6. Barcelona

Italy

1. Florence (2 days)

2. Venice (1 day)

3. Naples

4. Rome (3 days)

5. Praia A Mare - Dino Island

Greece - island first, then Athens?

1. Athens (2 days)

a. Saronic Gulf islands easily reached from Athens - could be good day trips if short on time

2. Santorini (~3 hr ferry to Mykonos)

3. Mykonos (~6 hr ferry from Athens)

a. Delos (Apollo temples, sacred lake, Lion Terrace, Cleopatra’s house)

4. Delphi

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

You have to allow for transferring between destinations, and time to experience any destination requires three days; at the minimum two days.

You should check for a multi city air ticket fly into Paris and out of Athens.

Possible (busy) travel itinerary, and you would need to travel light.

Paris to Nice and Marseille trains www.voyages-sncf.com

Marseille to Barcelona to San Sebastian fly www.vueling.com San Sebastian to Bilbao bus www.pesa,net Bilbao to Seville fly www.vueling.com

Seville to Venice via Barcelona fly www.vueling.com

Venice to Florence to Rome trains www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

Rome to Santorini fly www.easyjet.com www.alitalia.com Santorini to Mykonos to Athens fly www.aegeanair.com or ferry www.ferries.gr

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.france.com www.spain.info www.italia.it/en/home.html www.visitgreece.gr

Edited: 27 March 2014, 05:47
CA
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

Better work out a daily plan with relocation times and see if anything is left for enjoyment. Every move chews up half a day or more.

Here’s how to get a quick summary of transportation options and times:

http://www.rome2rio.com/

And train schedules here:

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,395 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

Please don't. We do lots of road/rail trips and I can tell you the times we spend one day in a place we never actually see it. We find our hotel, have a quick wander and a meal and leave the next day. It isn't worth it.

Flying into Paris you will get an evening and one jet lagged day. In Spain you have one night in each place so you will become very familiar with the inside of a train but not at all with the cities. Granada is a bit tricky to get to so by the time you do, when will you see the Alhambra and the Generalife gardens. They really take a day. What do you intend to do with one night in Praia A Mare - Dino Island? It will take 4.5 hours minimum to get there, and from there, where, to get to Greece. How do you intend to get from Mykonos to Delphi?

And yes, if you are flying home from Athens, make it the last stop.

Seriously, choose two countries max and do them some sort of justice and give minimum three nights to any place.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

For places to visit in Greece, such as the Saronic Gulf islands, Santorini, Mykonos, Delos

you can get all the information you need on pelasgian.info (it's a huge travel guide to Greece)

and on www.visitgreece.gr that belongs to the National Travel Organization.

Check out also http://www.trekking.gr/en/ for as they say: “the deliverance of authentic experiences in nature"

Cheers

5. Re: MAJOR Europe Itinerary help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:17