We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Hello, I am planning a trip with my parents from London - Paris - Lucerne - Venice- Rome, beginning May 25th. I have sent my passport for UK visa, it is due back April 15th,. then i will apply for schengen visa, which I should have by April 30th.

1 - If I wait for my visas, will it be too late to book trains between these cities, and hotels? I would be booking 25 days in advance.

OR Should i book right now for refundable hotels and train tickets? Then when my visa comes, i can book cheaper ones and cancel these ones? SO confused!!!

I couldnt send my passport earlier since they would accept it 90 days before travel, and I had to go to Canada from States for a business trip. Just got back and sent off the passport for uk visas.

Thanks,

Angel

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

the high season doesn't really start until early June so you might be OK with hotels. Trains are not a big issue. Airfare would be my biggest concern right now since most flights are non-refundable. Enjoy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

I'm confused: are you a United States citizen? If so, none of these visas are necessary.

I see no reason not to book hotels that are refundable -

Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Caseymorgan: I got a refundable air ticket with my united miles. ; )

MomCat1992: I work in the States on a work Visa, I am a Kenya Citizen, Kenyan Passport Holder so I need to get the visas.

Talking about trains, We will be in Italy for like a week, Venice - Florence - Rome.... Should I book individual train tickets or buy the Eurail pass for Italy. Thoughts?

Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Is car rental easy in Italy? Can I consider this an option?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

The Eurail pass is not worth it in Italy.

www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it use the Italian names, Venezia S. Lucia, Firenze S.M. Novella & Roma Termini. Italo uses Romes Tiburtina Station, not Romes Termini.

Second class is totally fine, the fast train between Venice & Florence is 2 hrs +/- and Florence to Rome 1.5 hrs.

A car would be more of an expensive nuisance, you can't drive in either of the 3 cities mentioned.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Edited: 27 March 2014, 16:18
Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Cool, that solves the transport question.. Now, I have an aunt who has invitied me to stay in Rome with them. No hotel cost in Rome. yeay! So my question is, Should I go from venice to Rome directly, then take a day trip to florence and pisa? OR suck it up and spend a night in florence?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

You'll be starting from Venice, how many days will you have? Are you returning to the US via Rome?

Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Yes I will be returning to US via Rome. I have 5 whole days in Rome. (excluded travel day from Venice to Rome).

Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Would you recommend I skip Florence and do a day trip to Pisa instead? OR is Florence a must see?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,629 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it too late to book 30 days before trip?

Only you can decide what is a must see for you. We all have our own personal preferences. If you want to visit Pisa you should, same with Florence.

How many total days do you have in Italy. With visiting 3 cities you should have no less than 10 days to split between them without day trips. If you have less than that you should only visit 2 cities.

Donna