We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Chianti from Florence

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Chianti from Florence

We are a group of four ladies traveling from Florence to Chianti. We will stay in Chianti two nights. Would you recommend renting a car to drive from Florence to Chianti? or a train? However, would you need a car in Chianti to drive around? Thanks for your advice!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,072 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,853 reviews
from US$123.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,737 reviews
from US$112.60*
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Chianti from Florence

The area of Chianti is just South of Florence and extends to towns such as Montalcino, Montepulciano. It is the wine growing area of the Chianti wine.

Depending on which town you plan to stay in then usually a car is a good idea since it gives you the flexibility of visiting the numerous lovely hilltowns which make up Chianti. If you rent a car in Florence then do it from the airport since it is easy to leave the city from there and begin your visit to Chianti region.

The main road of Chianti is SR222 which is called the Chiantigiana or the Wine Road. This road begins on the outskirts of Florence and winds through Chianti.

Have a look at www.greve-in-chianti.com for an idea of some of the towns of Chianti since there are a number of links to other towns from this website.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Chianti from Florence

I would rent a car and drive down SR 222 as talked about above. The drive is beautiful and you'll want to stop many times to take photos. Greve is a great little town as is Castellina-in-Chianti. SR 222 will take you Siena also. There are wineries everywhere to visit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Chianti from Florence

I agree with other comments that hiring a car directly from Florence would be your best bet (as it will be too difficult trying to find a car hire place whilst in Chianti region). Probably best to hire from the airport rather than having to navigate the roads from the city onto the SR222.

Greve is a very nice place to stay and there are lots of wineries nearby that you could visit. I would highly recommend a visit to Renzo Marinai's winery. He was recommended to us by the owner of the wine shop (the one at the far end of Greve Piazza). Also highly recommend Montagliaro Winery in Panzano just up the road from Greve. Their food and wine is sensational. Check out my contributions re my stay in Greve. Have a lovely trip......

Edited: 31 March 2014, 06:11
4. Re: Travel to Chianti from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:15