We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

I am arriving in Naples June 21st ( Saturday) and I want to get to Positano and Amalfi, what is the best way to get there? I know there are no trains, and consist of bus, where can I see the bus prices? Are there time restrictions? I will be arriving in Naples at 4:55pm should I spend the night in Naples or is it okay to take a bus that afternoon and maybe spend the night in Positano?

Thank you!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

At that time of year you can travel from Naples to Sorrento, then from Sorrento to Positano and/or Amalfi all by water on fast ferries.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

Thank you so much! Does it matter if I decide to leave on ferry at that time in the afernoon? What is cheaper? Also, is it necessary to purchase in advanced? What is an approximate cost?

Thanks a million!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

You don't say how/where you are arriving (by train, plane, etc.).

At that time of the year there may be a later water crossing but on the current schedule the last boat from Naples to Sorrento leaves at 5:15 PM, so it's probably not good for you. The trip takes 40 minutes (vs. an hour by commuter train) and costs Euro 12, 30 each way (vs. 4,10 by train).

If you wait until the next morning you can make the trip by water, departing Naples at 9 AM and arriving Sorrento at about 9:45. At 10:30 you can depart Sorrento by ferry for Positano (Euro 15,80).

There's no need to purchase tickets in advance.

You can see schedules and information here: www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe…

Closer to the season there will be info here as well: http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

And here is the schedule for the ferry from Sorrento to Positano: www.coopsantandrea.com

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

Thank you!!

We are arriving by train at Napoli Centrale at 4:55pm do you think that in those 20 minutes we make it to the 5:15pm (last one) ?

Thank you soooo very much!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

If you are very, very lucky you might make it but I wouldn't count on it. It's only a little less than two miles from the train station to Molo Beverello, but the traffic can be brutal. You'll need time to get from your train to the taxi rank, then the drive, then time to purchase your ticket and get on the boat. It can happen, but there's certainly no guarantee.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

Definitely have a back up plan because while on paper that may seem possible, I would be surprised if you could make that. That drive to the port takes longer than you think it will given the actual distance.

Where are you actually going? Positano or Amalfi? Amalfi is about 40 minutes drive south of Positano -

In which village are you staying?

If Positano, I might, at that hour, just jump on the local train Circumvesuviana to Sorrento (60-70 minutes) and then either try to catch the next SITA bus to Positano or get a car service - which I think (don't know what this year's prices will be) about 80 euros to Positano - more if you are going to Amalfi.

But, if car service is not in the budget, then just take the SITA bus - yes, it will likely be crowded but at least you will get where you are going unless you want to spend a night in Naples. Or, take the local train to Sorrento and spend the night in Sorrento and take the ferry to Positano the next day -

But - again, without knowing where you are actually going - it's hard to offer up some useful alternatives -

Do you have to take such a late train to Naples - is the ticket already bought?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

Thank you, we would like to spend one day in positano and one day in amalfi. We are arriving at that tiime beacuse it was the only time available (the earliest) for that day. I would rather spend the money in a hotel either in positano or amalfi than Naples. I am just unaware of the times, schedules, routes and prices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

Well, if you decide to take the Circumvesuviana, you would just walk downstairs from where you arrive via train at Napoli Centrale (follow the signs) and buy a ticket at the ticket booth and wait for the next train to Sorrento - the schedule can be, shall we say, fluid. But, you will get one - runs about every 30 minutes - read up a bit here on it: napoliunplugged.com/naples-circumvesuviana-r…

As to the SITA bus - well, for me that schedule has never been true - bad luck, maybe but it's just never showed up when it was noted to on the schedule; so, once you arrive via train in Sorrento, you can get the next bus that comes going to Amalfi (last stop) and the two Positano stops will be before the Amalfi ones. The bus stop is at the same station as you will arrive via train from Naples.

www.sitabus.it/amalfi-cost-connections/

I agree it would be nice to spend the night where you are going - I wouldn't move hotels though if you are considering that - I'd just stay two nights in either Positano or Amalfi, moving hotels would waste time for you as you can't usually check in until about 2 or 3 pm - so, with your schedule, I'd choose a place in Positano because it will be closer to where you are coming from (Naples) -

10. Re: From Naples to Positano - Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:17