We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake garda with young children

chester
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
lake garda with young children

Hi

I would be grateful for any advice. We are a family of 4, parents mid 30s, children will be nearly 4 and 2.5 travelling early June

We are planning on making lake garda our first family holiday but unsure what would be best. This will actually be the first time to the area for all of us.

I think a central location would be ideal such as garda itself. We want shops, cafes to hand as well as good transport links to verona etc.

Where I could really do with help is where to stay. We really need something that caters for young children, keeping them busy is going to be key. However as parents we would love to have a nice view of the lake and just be able to appreciate the beauty of where we are.

I've tried looking at hotels but struggling to find any really child friendly ones, am I missing some? We did also think a villa? Thoughts on this? Any other options im missing.

sounds silly but it would be great to get our first family holiday away right and make it really special for all of us at the same time.

I appreciate any help/advice.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake garda with young children

Hi, welcome to the forum. The first thing to point out is that most of the lake beaches are shingle rather than sand so, if you are looking for a bucket-and-spade kind of holiday, Lake Garda is probably not the best choice. There are a couple of man-made sandy beaches, one just to the south of Lazise in front of the campsites and the other is a large beach at Maderno (on the western shore) which you have to pay to use.

As you've already noted, Garda itself would be a good base as would the neighbouring town of Bardolino, or Lazise a little further south. All three towns are on the bus route to Verona. Garda and Bardolino both have good ferry services to other lake towns. Lazise has a less-frequent service but still enough to travel around.

Lazise has a good children's playground and there is also a playground in Bardolino as well as lots of open space for running around.

You will find that Italians love children, and yours will be made a fuss of wherever you go. Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by "child-friendly"? If you mean on-site entertainment then there are few hotels/apartments that offer more than a pool. There is one place near the town of Torri del Benaco but you would need a car:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g659317-d2870…

letorridelgarda.com/en/family-hotel-garda-la…

Have you considered some of the campsites at the lake? Many of them have bungalows/chalets on site and have children's entertainment. The area around Peschiera has several campsites that you could look at:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g635642-c3-Peschier…

You could use sites like www.booking.com or www.venere.com for you specific dates and requirements but it is usually better to book directly with hotels/apartments.

These older threads may help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1850051-i22753-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1850051-i22753-…

These links will also help you to find "Family Hotels" in Garda, Bardolino and Lazise:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194683-zff4-Bardol…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194771-zff4-Garda_…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194789-zff4-Lazise…

chester
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: lake garda with young children

Thanks so much for all the info. In terms of child friendly, anything that might help keep them entertained.

A shingle beach isnt a problem but yeah aa you mentioned a park, maybe some sort of kids entertainment. Know im probably being a bit hopeful but as you're probably aware happy kids lead to happy parents.

I had looked at campsites but not sure, with kids. Going on your suggestion of them as an option, would you say are they ok with children? Is the standard ok etc?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake garda with young children

Most of the campsites on the lake have numerous activities and facilities for children and as such as very popular with families. In general hotels don't often offer much in the way of children's activities other than maybe a small playground and a children's pool.

4. Re: lake garda with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 07:16