We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

A list from the Ministry of Culture & Tourism showing for 2013 the 30 most visited museums, monuments and archeological sites in Italy, ranked by number of visitors, and showing gross receipts for each.

…ilmattino.it/mattino/pagpdf/TAVOLA.pdf

ilmattino.it/NAPOLI/…619808.shtml

Pistoia, Italy
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

I cannot believe that so many people spend their money to visit the Colosseum. Really? Is it worth the money and the time? Colosseum is amazing from the outside, but the inside visit is just a tourist trap!!! Nobody should even spend a penny for that (except if you are a sort of ancient roman expertise). If you want to see a beautiful example of roman amphitheatre spends some time in Verona to visit the famous Arena.

Pistoia, Italy
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

I'm also surprise about how many people visit "Galleria dell'Accademia" in Florence. I'm not saying that Michelangelo's David is not beautiful, but walking around Florence you have at least other two opportunity to see a copy of David. I know, you want to see the original!!! But if you do not have much time, please employ your time better. There is so much to do in Florence...and if you really want to spend some time in a museum, Il Bargello has one of the most amazing collection of sculptures in Italy.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

That's really interesting, thanks for posting the link.

What amazes me is that Castel Sant'Angelo is #5 on the list, it never seems crowded when I've been there. (Once again, the fallacy of thinking that one's own experience is representative of something greater.)

Edited: 07 April 2014, 22:59
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

The Bargello could get more visitors if it didn[t close at 2 pm in the afternoon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

I would say that anyone who thinks viewing a copy of David is the same as seeing the real thing, probably should be doing their tourism with video travelogues and not bothering to make the trip.

Or just go to Epcot Center and Las Vegas where you can see pretty much of all of Europe worth visiting anyway.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 03:25
Turin
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

I'd say that anyone who walks along the Accademia corridor towards the David and doesn't wonder "why did they put Michelangelo's unfinished Prisoners right here?" should sue his/her high school art teacher.

I'll never get why a Museum like Naples' Archeologico is only 15th and my fellow citizens don't get mad about it. The Farmese Collection, the artifacts from Pompei... the 100 b.c. mosaic that shows Alexander the Great fighting against Dario the 3rd is there! Who cares to see hundreds of Madonnas in Florence and doesn't run to Naples to see the real face of Alexander?!? Sgrunt.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

LOL - it's all about location, unfortunately. The city of Naples would do well to invest some money in branding and reputation management, sometimes it's hard to read the opinions people have formed about the place without ever having been there.

With the advent of the internet and social media, it doesn't need to be an expensive advertising campaign; a well thought out and executed on-line strategy could go a long way toward opening minds.

Of course, completing the physical improvements at the key entry points of the city will help also. The airport is actually pretty nice now, once the work is completed in Piazza Garibaldi the renovated Napoli Centrale station will really shine, and if they ever finish the new metro station at the cruise port (Piazza Municipio) that area will be greatly improved. My landlord in Naples tells me that the work is projected to be completed next winter, but he isn't holding his breath about it.

A greater (and more obvious) police presence at the cruise port and the train station might help reassure first time visitors as well, particularly if they are trained to be more friendly than your average local officer. It has taken a long time to make this transition with the police in New York City, and they aren't always great about it, but there is a noticeable difference in my lifetime. Cops in tourist areas like Times Square will actually smile, nod, and answer questions if approached politely while still doing their job.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 12:41
Turin
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

elstravels, If they really want to open within an year they must drag archaeologists away with a tractor. Last July they found some other remnants of the old roman port and the basement of a bath complex that could be even older. Maybe they could find a way to open the M1 and M6 stations, but I'm afraid that the square will remain an open yard for years.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,431 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

As to Castel Sant'Angelo - I had been in Rome numerous times before getting there - just never enough time; then when I told my friends (Romans) I was going they tried to discourage me, saying there's really nothing much there -

I love the place - I took my little opera glasses to be able to get a close look at the works on the ceiling, loved the surprises around nearly every turn when climbing the steps and each time I've been there has been an interesting special exhibit, which is usually pretty extensive - and, barely a soul in those exhibits - but, where i did find the crowds was on the outside terrace where you can the views - that's where they were each time I was there - not sure, obviously, about other times.

Now, I go usually every other trip or whenever there is a special exhibit that is particularly of interest to me.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy's 30 most visited sites 2013, and gross receipts

MomCat, I so agree about Castel Sant'Angelo. I've probably been there six or eight times in the last ten years and it's always been nearly empty (although none of these visits were in the summer, so there is that) which is why I was surprised to find it so high on the list. The other places in the top five seem to be crowded year round.

Regarding Naples, I understand the issues with the archeologists but I still think that clever marketers, in concert with city planners/engineers, could turn the lemon into lemonade. For example, the temporary walkway from the Acton bus stop up to Via San Carlo is functional, but it could be so much more. It could be turned into an attraction in its own right, a way to see archeology in progress. A few really creative minds turned loose on the problem ... I'd love to see the results.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 15:14