We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train advice

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train advice

I am traveling from Rome to Cinque Terra in June and then again from CT to Florence - but working on the first one first....I found the Trenitalia site but the train schedules seem quite fluid. I swear yesterday I had a route from Roma Trastevere (near where I am staying) to La Spezia (it seems you can't buy all the way to Riomaggiore yet) and today, I can't pull it up. I can book a trip from roma Termini to la spezia but it doesn't leave until about noon which is later than I like. If I play w/ dates and look at things this month, there are tons more options - including earlier.

So my question is this - all the advice is - "book in advance" - which i definitely want to do but how far in advance? It seems the options are more numerous the closer you get to current month?

Advice?

thanks,

ps...playing with this more, it seems early june has schedules and later june (need the 18th) does not. If I put an early june date in, there are more choices but I also see the following:

Tariffa 14RM not sealable on this channel

Can anyone tell me what that means?

Edited: 09 April 2014, 18:12
Turin
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train advice

1) You can book 120 days in advance, but there is a timetable change on the 14th of June. Trenitalia has already uploaded only HS trains (Freccia-something), but you are looking for intercity and regionale. Don't worry nobody can buy those tickets .

2) Fluid? Remember that If you do not set the 'hour', trenitalia's site defaults to the clock time on your computer.

3) I think that "Tariffa 14RM" is an urban fare in Rome, it means: "if you want to go from Termini to Trastevere using an FL line you have to go to a Tabacchi store or a newsstand to get your ticket".

Edited: 09 April 2014, 18:57
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train advice

I figured it was something like that....so any idea when the intercity and regional train schedules will come out? is there any way to know? Thanks,

Turin
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train advice

No, there isn't.

Trenitalia must reach an economic agreement with every italian region that pays for regional trains and intercity. Moreover it's not a big issue for Italians, we expect trains to run as usual and nobody puts a real pressure on them.

Commuters' associations criticize Trenitalia for hundreds of (good) other reasons, but they begin complaining about the timetable change only around the end of May!

In the end trains run, that's all.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train advice

So just wait and not worry about it? Do these things ever sell out?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train advice

You can't book the regionale trains. They NEVER "sell out", so not to worry! You'll get on these trains, even if it means standing.

The Intercity trains CAN "sell out" (as they are reserved trains), but this happens infrequently (and rarely in June).

You COULD book the Frecciabianca train RIGHT NOW from Roma Termini to La Spezia Centrale and get a discounted promotional fare as well, IF you want to do so, You need to make your way from Trastevere to Termini Station to catch this Frecciabianca train, OR connect in Civitavecchia (Trastevere to Civitavecchia by unreserved regionale train). The cheapest fare (SUPER ECONOMY) on the Frecciabianca train from Rome to La Spezia is 19 Euros.

You COULD wait to book the Intercity train once schedules are uploaded for post June 14. This train departs from Roma Ostiense, which is connected to Trastevere station by unreserved regionale train. If you book the Intercity as soon as the new schedules are uploaded, you might (SHOULD) be able to get the 9-Euros SUPER ECONOMY fare from Rome to La Spezia. YES, 9 Euros per person!!!

BEWARE that the SUPER ECONOMY fare is non-refundable and non-changeable.

www.trenitalia.com

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train advice

Thank you - it is becoming clearer now that I understand regional vs. inter-city vs. HS (although HS doesn't seem to get you there that much quicker, leaves later, and is more expensive!). But now I understand the system....thanks,

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train advice

FYI: The Frecciabianca train is not really "HS" at all, it's just a snazzy version of the Intercity which makes a couple of fewer stops and has more contemporary seats and layout, and a "corner bar" which sells real espresso coffee and other beverages and snacks.

The real "HS" is the Frecciarossa and Frecciargento, not the Frecciabianca.

To me, it's nearly a toss-up whether to book the Frecciabianca at 19 Euros or the Intercity at 9 Euros. I would choose based on schedule convenience/fit.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train advice

that makes more sense - I didn't find 19e either - will have to look closer...

One more question - are the regional trains reliable enough to rely on the schedules they show? - which don't have much time between trains....

More specifically, is it safer to just taxi to Termini and be done with it vs. trastevere to ostiense or civitavecchia with a connection to la spezia? Especially, if we are newbies....The latter has better (earlier) schedules but I just worry about the connections if they aren't reliable - which i thought I saw in some other posts.

I want to get to Riomaggiore at a reasonable hour so don't want to spend all day in train stations if I can help it.

Given all this, I changed my rental car pickup from florence to la spezia so I can avoid all this going from CT to tuscany :).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train advice

I do see the 19e prices but they are later (worse) times....

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train advice

for completeness if someone finds this later....the intercity train schedules finally got posted. Even though there are a bunch of (apparently old) threads on how hard it is to buy tickets on-line/wait until you get there/etc.....I don't really like to have things hanging - so I booked a 9e/ticket intercity train rome to la spezia and it couldn't have been easier. I used paypal (not sure if that helps). I have a printout that apparently I bring with me and they scan it in....they will even text the code to you (although not sure about international phone numbers).

Now, I am sure I could have done the same when I get there in a kiosk or something but this certainly seems easy.

So far, so good....thanks again for all the useful advice.