We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for skipping lines!

Winnipeg, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Advice for skipping lines!

Hi, my girlfriend and I will be traveling Italy this may, We will be spending time in Rome, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice. 4-5 days each (other then pisa). We are excited to see many of the main tourist areas, as well as taking in the local culture. I was wondering anyone has any tips on how to skip lines for some of these more popular attractions? We are both university students so we are quite price conscious. I have read up on city passes for some of the larger cities, are they worth it? Also will we be able to purchase them when in the city?

Edit: I was also wondering how busy Italy actually is in may? Our route will be rome, pisa, cinque tere, florence, venice,

Edit 2: We will also be in Barcelona before Rome, so these questions all apply for Barcelona too!

Winnipeg, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for skipping lines!

bump

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,492 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for skipping lines!

Don't be impatient. Nobody here is paid to answer questions, and it is very rude to expect a reply in 7 minutes.

Especially as you could get all the answers from a guide book.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,572 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for skipping lines!

I have only been to Italy once in May (Rome, Capri). It was quite busy compared to when I usually visit in Feb and March.

I have only visited Venice once and that was in April. The main tourist areas especially around San Marco was also quite busy. If you are price conscious, then maybe you should not visit Venice at all. It is the most expensive city in Italy to visit. That is part of the reason I have only been there once. In 2005-2010 I was paying college tuition for 2 children and had to restrict my spending on travel. So I visited cheaper cities (Rome, Florence, Bay of Naples) at the cheapest time of year. I visited Venice after both of my children had graduated from College.

if you are looking for cheaper lodging and less crowding the best time for Italy is Nov-March.

The Roma Pass is only worth it if you go to at least 3 of the sites covered by the pass.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for skipping lines!

At very popular places such as the Vatican and the Uffizi in Florence the best thing you can do is book tickets in advance. However, Rome, Florence and Venice all have lots of attractions and the vast majority of these do not have queues at any time of year. If you are price conscious, then a lot of the churches in Rome are worth visiting and you do not have to pay in. This is not the case in Venice though where you do have to pay in to see a lot of the churches.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,572 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for skipping lines!

At least half of the churches in Florence you had to pay to get into also.

If you do not buy a Roma pass, the best place to buy Colosseum, Forum, and palatine tickets is at the San Gregorio ticket office (not at the Colosseum ticket office). It is the yellow dollar sign on this google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

6. Re: Advice for skipping lines!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16