We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

Seattle
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

We plan to fly to Rome October 20th and out November 11th. We been at Rome before and North from Rome. We like to explore South Italy including Sicily. Idea is to spend about 10 days traveling relatively close to Rome than fly to Palermo rent a car and explore Sicily, fly back to Rome and same day fly to US. Question, is it good idea at this time of the year? How to spend 10 days around Rome? Should I get car or train and bus easier?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

Can't help with anything other than to tell you that you should spend your last night in the city you fly out of. If your flight is delayed out of your last destination you could miss your flight home and it could cost you thousands of dollars to rebook. Spend your final night in Rome so you don't need to worry about something going wrong.

Donna

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

It's not bad idea. On the other side this will be very short flight, one hour, with 5 hours between flights.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

We drove around basically a bit earlier than your time of Oct/Nov. I think the temperatures will have really cooled down by then. If you are looking for beach actvities, I think it's a bit late. You could do the entire trip by car. Although many on here will tell you the rental car company won't let you take it onto a ferry, the one we used (Hertz) said 'no problem' crossing to Messina, as long as we brought it back to the mainland, which we did. If this idea appeals to you, then reply, and I will give you our itinerary that we used.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 22:32
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

For your 10 days 'south of Rome', have you given any thought to Naples? I spent a week there and loved it! The food is beyond compare. You could take a day trip to Herculaneum (I'd previously been to Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius), to Capri and to Ischia (spent a week there too, loved it). Farther south you have all the beauty of the Amalfi Coast.

What are you interested in, ancient history (Naples is 3K yrs old), scenery (Amalfi Coast) or beaches (Ischia)?

The Lonely Planet has an excellent "Naples & the Amalfi Coast" guidebook, as does Nat'l Geographic Traveler for Naples and Southern Italy.

I don't drive in Italy, I rely on public transport or a driver, so can't help there.

Totally agree with Donna, spend you last night in Italy in Rome. The flights out of Sicily can be easily delayed, so don't take any chances.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

Welcome to Sicily Mike_Seattle!

Avoid driving in Palermo.

Either hire the car at Palermo's airport after departing Palermo, or take public transport to your next destination, and hire the car there.

See Rome at the end of your route to position for your departing flight.

Ideally you would book a single straight-through transatlantic (one itinerary) ticket to Sicily. Your luggage would continue straight-through to Sicily, and if your flight were delayed on arrival, the airline would place you on the next outbound flight.

The rental car company may say no problem for the ferry, but also not insure the car during the time the car is on the ferry.

Vagabonda

Seattle
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

I have not though of doing all by car. Could you post your itinerary?

7. Re: Help with iternary 3 weeks South of Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:15