We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to miss on the Amalfi Coast

Mequon, Wisconsin
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What not to miss on the Amalfi Coast

Traveling in June with 3 children to Ravello for five days. We are not renting a car. We are looking for suggestions or tours that would hit the best areas of the coast. We want to go to Capri for sure at least one day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What not to miss on the Amalfi Coast

We're headed that way this summer too! Hoping for some Southern Italy "don't miss" highlights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,096 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What not to miss on the Amalfi Coast

It's a beautiful seaside area - there really aren't necessarily any "must sees" that you won't stumble upon in these tiny little villages.

You are staying (the OP) in the only of the villages that is high above the coast road/sea/beach/harbor area which will mean you will need to take transportation up and down both ways (you can also walk it though it takes some time and depending on how hot it is and age of your kids, only you know if it is a good option for you) - the bus down to Amalfi will take between 20-30 minutes.

From Amalfi you can take the ferry over to Positano - there are two beaches there and it is very beautiful and if you take the ferry, you avoid the immense stress and hassle of the buses which are a true misery of people pushing, shoving to get in, standing all the way somewhere on a curving, winding road - just try to stick with the boats you and you will be far more comfortable.

Some info about the AC:

www.capri.net - how to get to Capri (boat schedules) and what there is to do there

There is some very good hiking in the area - Path of the Gods is a wonderful but, again, without knowing age of your kids, hard to say.

I always stay in Positano as I prefer it and I like being able to quickly reach the sea/beach - if you to Positano (and, I wouldn't miss it) - there is a smaller beach, Il Fornillo, which is an easy walk along the sea away from the main beach; it is a charming beach with nice cafes and a terrific restaurant that is part of the Hotel Pupetto - it has a large terrace that looks right into the sea with good food/prices. Highly recommend.

Here's a Facebook daily photo page by someone (not me, sadly) who lives in Positano (just in case you need a bit of encouragement to go there for a day):

(oh, and her first photo is of Il Fornillo beach (empty right now))

Your guidebook will have the info on the villas/gardens to visit in Ravello -

Here's the info for the ferries along the coast:

The Duomo in Amalfi, definitely. A walk through the village of Amalfi (going away from the beach, internally) will take you past many shops, restaurants and eventually lead you to an paper mill, a lovely creek, some almost woodsy type area - very pretty and refreshing on a hot/humid day.

When I go, I am pretty much a sloth - I just like to sit on the terrace and stare at this beautiful place, swim in the sea, do some hiking, wandering the village, take a boat ride or two -

There's a world of information about the villages in each of the threads for each of them here on TA and, again, your guidebook.

3. Re: What not to miss on the Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:16