We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

Thank you in advance to anyone who would answer questions and give comments. Husband and I (36 and 32 yo) are planning a trip to Italy November 15-30. It will be our first trip to Italy (and Europe, in fact). We bought a deal that includes airfare flying in to Venice and out of Rome, reserved train Venice-Florence and Florence-Rome, and hotels (2n Venice, 2n Florence, 3n Rome). We then added 2n to the front end and extended the trip by 5 more nights, but unfortunately we can't change the middle portion of the trip (or I definitely would have added more days to Florence). So far our itinerary looks like this:

Day 1- travel day

Day 2- arrive in Venice in the morning; rest/wander about

Day 3- Venice sights, plus maybe Lido if there's time

>The "deal hotel" is actually in Mestre, so the first two nights we wanted to stay in the city center, then transfer to the Mestre hotel on Day 4. Any recommendations for not-so-expensive (preferably under $100/night) but still nice place to stay?

Day 4- 3 nearby islands of Murano, Burano, and Torcello

>Is this doable at this time of the year? Best strategy for visiting all three efficiently?

Day 5- day trip to Ravenna and Bologna

>I really wanted to see Ravenna, but I'd like to go for at least a few hours in Bologna as well if there's time. Is the winter train schedule vastly different from the current ones posted in Trenitalia and how reliable are the posted schedules? With the current posted schedules, if we leave Mestre by 7AM and don't plan on coming back until 8PM or so, we can actually spend 4 hours in Ravenna plus lunch and another 4h in Bologna including dinner (which is the main point of going there for me). What is the best approach with buying these train tickets- before leaving, at the station, as part of sightseeing cards, etc.?

>Any tips with visiting these two cities? Do the food markets and places of interest around Piazza Maggiore typically stay open after sunset? Do the churches in Ravenna also close for riposo?

Day 6- train to Florence; walk around, churches

Day 7- Florence- Uffizi and Accademia, maybe more churches if there's time

>Days 6-7 are definitely the toughest to plan for, but we'll just pick and choose as time permits. I've seen a few 2-day Florence itinerary guides, but please feel free to post link to what you think is most useful/reasonable, especially with shorter daylight hours and opening hours in November.

Day 8- Florence- San Miniato Truffle Fair, then train to Rome

>I'm a little obsessed with truffles, so I'm sacrificing a day in Florence to go to this nearby festival before heading to Rome (fixed train schedule), since we may never be in this part of the world at this time of year again but Florence will definitely still be there for another time. Does that sound right or am I being crazy? Does anyone have any personal experience with this festival? Is it actually worth leaving Florence for on our first trip to Italy? Also, is it safe and hassle-free (with hotels) to get in to Rome at night and check in late?

Day 9- Rome- ancient Rome

Day 10- Rome- more ancient Rome

Day 11- Rome- Vatican

>As you can tell, Rome itinerary not quite fleshed out yet, but there's so much to see that I think I'm putting off making decisions on which ones we can or cannot visit with our time frame. These are Sunday-Tuesday; am I correct to assume that major antiquity sights will be open Sundays and Mondays? I've been reading conflicting advice on that.

Day 12- early train to Sorrento; explore towns on Amalfi Coast

Day 13- Pompeii (and Vesuvius with time)

Day 14- Herculaneum and Naples

>This is the (almost) last segment of our trip and the part I'm most unsure of yet. I've been vacillating between staying in Naples or Sorrento ever since we nixed Salerno as home base for these 3 days. I need opinions on this matter and any recommendations for specific places to stay in either. Right now we have cancellable booking at the Magi House in Sorrento.

>The four main sights I want to see are listed, along with a possible "hike" to Vesuvius. I can re-arrange them in different ways, depending on where we're staying or time constraints I haven't yet considered or what makes more sense with transportation and opening hours (please let me know what you think), but Pompeii is definite mainstay on the schedule as that's the main reason for going to that area in the first place.

>Again, what is the best course with getting train tickets? Any recommendations for "sightseeing cards/passes"? I'm fairly budget-conscious, but is it worth it to catch the faster trains and/or ride 1st class? We would have our luggage with us at these train rides.

>Is the SITA bus fairly reliable at that time of year? How many towns can we reasonably expect to explore in (less than) a day in Amalfi Coast? Do you have favorites and why? (Right now they seem pretty similar to me, but I haven't looked very closely on each town's characteristics.)

Day 15- early train back to Rome; museums, more sights

Day 16- early flight out

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

To answer a few of your questions.... Venice hotel: US$100=72€, which is going to be tight for a hotel room for two in Venice proper. But check booking.com or a similar listing site to see what your options are.

The vaporetto connects Murano, Burano, and Torcello. I am not sure why November would be a bad time to visit them. If the weather is unappealing you can just decide to do something else that day.

"I'm sacrificing a day in Florence to go to this nearby festival before heading to Rome. Does that sound right or am I being crazy?" I don't think so. You should prioritize what you want to see, and San Miniato is not far out of the way.

If you are wanting to visit Bologna as a day trip, I would stop en route to Florence rather than tack on to a Ravenna day trip.

Here are instructions for train tickets: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187768-c19328/Italy:…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

And, you can also check www.venere.com for lodging as well.

For that itinerary at the end, I'd stay in Sorrento for the places you wish to visit. I've never had a SITA bus run exactly to schedule (some have been close to on-time, others very delayed, some up to 2 hours - you just don't know) -

I would probably stick to just two places on the AC - up to you -

www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

have info about (though your guidebook likely has more) on the AC villages. Largest are Positano and Amalfi and the one high above the coast road is Ravello (which requires separate bus from the village of Amalfi and takes about 20-30 minutes to reach from Amalfi).

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

you could probably do Positano and Amalfi in less than a day, I would maybe take that "less than" a day and do Amalfi/Ravello, just to be sure you had enough time to enjoy it all.....

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

"The four main sights I want to see are listed, along with a possible "hike" to Vesuvius"

Vesuvius is not all that close t5o Pompeii. You have to take public transport there and the it kis a 30 min hike to the crater and 30 min back to the car park where the bus stops. In season there is a bus fron near the Pompei Circumvesuvina that goes to vesuvius. Not sure if it runs in Nov.

Pompeii is a very large site and can easily fill up a whole day.

map of Pompeii ruins and Pompei town

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Google map of Rome Ancient sites

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

CA
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

I would skip Ravenna and do Bologna only.

From Mestre to Ravenna you will need to change in Bologna. It's 1.5 hours to Bologna and another 1.5 to Ravenna.

Ravenna back to Mestre you do the same thing in reverse in a trip taking about 3 hours.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

Going Venice-Ravenna, there are some train routes that change in Ferrara instead - it's much quicker that way.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

Thank you all so much, so many useful information! To clarify, the Ravenna-Bologna day trip looks like this so far: 7-9:30 Mestre-Ravenna via Ferrara, 9:30-14 Ravenna, 14-15:30 Ravenna-Bologna, 15:30-20 Bologna, 20-22 Bologna-Mestre. I got the train schedules from Trenitalia, but I don't know how similar the current schedules will be to ones in late November. I guess I can just check again later closer to our travel dates, but I wanted to have a clearer sense of schedule as early as possible. If I have to drop one, it will be Bologna as I'd really like to visit Ravenna.

The question regarding the three islands has less to do with weather as daylight hours. Do the stores/sights generally stay open past sunset (before 5PM that time of the year)?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

That seems to hectic to me. Both Ravenna and Bologna are worthy places to visit, and far different -so both of them deserve a visit - however this schedule to visit both in one day just seems impossible to me, It doesn't seem like much fun.

9. Re: Two weeks 1st trip: several specific questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:16