We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Italy in October 2014

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Topic
Trip to Italy in October 2014

Hi,

I want to visit Italy in the beginning of October this year. I am a 25 year old girl from India (will be 26 by October :)). This will be my first solo travel internationally as a tourist. Have traveled alone for work before. I have gone through a lot of related threads here and on other travel websites. With that research, this is what I intend to cover: Venice, Tuscany (Florence) and Rome. I wanted to add Naples / Milan also, but that will be too much I guess for a 10 day trip :)

So in my mind, roughly 3 days for each place - Venice, Tuscany and Rome. Since these places are quite spread out, I can't decide where I should begin. I will be taking a flight from New Delhi, India and I prefer booking a roundtrip flight coz it works out much cheaper. There are no open jaw tickets possible. My question therefore- does it make sense to land in Rome, go to Venice, then Tuscany and then back to Rome? Any other suggestions?

Next thing I want to know is about day long trips in and around Venice / Tuscany. What all should I cover in the 3 days? (Looks like Rome will need 3 full days (true?)). So I want to know what would be the best way to spend 3 days in Venice, and 3 days in Tuscany. And where should I stay? In a small town in Tuscany and travel around? or stay in Florence? Chianti? I am little confused here. Pisa needs to happen somewhere in between all that. If you have any recommendations of places to see, eat at, experience...please let me know.

This is not going to be a luxury travel, I am going to be on a shoestring budget (air ticket from India is quite an expense already :P). Please help me plan my itinerary. Thanks a lot.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,360 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Italy in October 2014

This is where a guide book is your friend. You say you want to spend three days in each of these cities yet you don't know what to see or do in any of them. Get a guide book and make a list of what is of interest to you. With a list we can let you know how many days you'll need in each city. You may find you only need two nights in one city and 5 nights in another. It's impossible to know without knowing what you want to do.

Also, everyone is different so be sure to make a list of what YOU want to see and not what others tell you that you should see. You may not like the same things they are suggesting and you don't want to waste any of your time when you could be seeing other' more interesting sites.

I would fly into Rome and immediately take the train to Venice. After Venice take the train to Florence and end in Rome. It's a shame you cant fly into Venice and out of Rome as that would save you a lot of time.

Donna

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Italy in October 2014

I agree with above that it's best to get some of the train travel out of the way on your first (jetlagged) day. And I would second the suggestion for a guidebook if you don't currently have one: Lonely Planet or Let's Go guidebook would probably be useful for you.

I will disagree with Donna in that I think it's possible to discuss and plan for an itinerary without making a comprehensive list of all the things I want to do in each place. Certainly, if you have a lot of things you must see in Rome, then you'll need longer for someone who hates big cities and would be happy with a brief walk around the Colosseum and Forum before hopping on a train. I have never made a full list ahead of time for any place I visit but rather figure out a reasonable amount of time for a place (big cities take more time, as do places rich in historical sights and museums) and then prioritize my sightseeing accordingly. Travel planning is about matching what you want to do and see with the resources you have (time and money), taking into account personal travel style and the logistics of how long it takes to get around, orient yourself to a new place, etc.

I don't think you're fully accounting for the logistics. 10 days is a good amount for 3 locations, but your wish list in Tuscany is spreading it thin. And I'd be very sparing with the day trips. 3 nights in Venice means 2 full days. Venice should have more than enough to occupy you for that time. (if not, pick someplace cheaper to stay!)

As for where in Tuscany, it depends on your priority. Are you interested in really visiting Florence: visiting museums and churches associated with the Renaissance, exploring the city, and soaking up its vibe? If so, base yourself in Florence. The advantage will be being at the hub of transportation and having a wider availability of hostels and budget accommodation (though maybe higher prices for certain things). If you want to experience more the countryside or provincial Tuscany, then base yourself in a smaller city or town. These can have a charm the major tourist cities lack but can be harder to use as a base with public transportation. If you don't care much about visiting Florence, then I would start with the lodging - hostels? - and plan from there. Given your time frame and budget, you'll still want to stick to some place with bus or train connections, like Siena, Cortona, or Lucca. If Pisa is a real priority for you (just to see the tower, I presume?), it's about an hour each way and won't be en route to where you're going, but you could go any day from Florence.

If you want a compromise, here's a possible suggestion: on arrival in Rome, get a train to Orvieto. it's in Umbria, not Tuscany, but it'll give a sense of the charm of a smaller hill town set in the countryside. And it's a cheap walk-up train fare from Rome, which gives you flexibility. Whereas a fast train to Florence or Venice will be either expensive or else involve waiting around in Rome for your train departure. From Orvieto, you'd be on a train line to Florence and then Venice.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Italy in October 2014

Hey,

You got a terrific return trip offer running right now from Air India for Delhi-Rome-Delhi. Its a promo offer for the dreamliner, I booked one recently.

Regards

Rachit Vats.

New Delhi, Delhi...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Italy in October 2014

Hi.. I am in italy for this oct.. may be we can see place together..

ryt now i am in near by rome.

just mail me..

naveenuniyal@hotmail.com

5. Re: Trip to Italy in October 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2015, 05:16