We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Topic
Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

We are spending some time this summer in Varenna and then heading from there to Barolo. Does anybody traveled by train from the Lake Como region to Langhe? We will need a car in Barolo so will need to rent a car eventually, but the automobile options are not very good in Lecco/Bergamo (all manual transmission).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Check automatic car rental Milan Central train station www.auto-europe.com

Varenna to Milan trains www.trenitalia.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an international driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html www.discovertuscany.com Lake Como ferries www.navigazionelaghi.it

Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

The Trenitalia website is telling me "No Travel Solution" from Varenna-Esino to Torino. Is Varenna-Esino the correct station? Do I need to change trains in Milano Centrale to the Ferrovie Nord Milano network?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Regional trains are not yet online for dates after June 14. Use an earlier date. Varenna-Esino is the correct station and trains are direct to Milano Centrale. Buy your ticket to Milan in advance, e.g. from the Tobacconist in Varenna, as tickets are not sold at the train station, and validate (time/date-stamp) before boarding.

Tickets from Milan to Turin can be bought online now 120 days in advance for some but not all of the fast trains, though the Regional trains are not yet online.

If you wished to avoid driving in central Milan, you could also rent from Linate Airport (25 minutes by airport bus from Centrale) or Malpensa Airport (40 minutes by train).

Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

This is very helpful. It appears that the earliest regional train leaving Varenna-Esio is 1437, with arrival at Milano Centrale at 1540. Would you recommend continuing on by rail to Torino and picking the car up there or picking the car up in Milan and driving the remainder of the way to Barolo? I am worried about picking a car up late on Saturday, and am thinking the earlier I get the car the better.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Another hint for using Trenitalia's website - you must enter a number in the 'hour' box e.g. enter '5' for 05.00 otherwise the times that you are shown start at the clock time on your own computer. First train from Varenna to Milan is 05.26 and there are plenty of trains before 14.37.

Personally I'd pick up a car at Linate, if they'll give you an automatic.

Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Thank you for that tip! You are right, many trains heading from Varenna to Milano. I don't see where there is a stop for Linate, however. How difficult is it to pick up a car at Milano Centrale (Hertz has a location at Via Cappellini 10)?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

There is no train station for Linate. It's an airport bus from Centrale taking 25 minutes.

If you're a confident driver and have driven in Italy before, picking up at Milano Centrale should be OK.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 17:43
Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Many thanks for your kind replies. If I may, since the Hertz counter closes at 1400 on Saturdays, where do I find the express bus to Linate, how often does it run and will it drop me off at the Hertz office at Linate?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Buses leave from the Piazza Luigi di Savoia right next to the train station on its east side. They arrive at Departures at the airport .

Car rental offices are in the Arrivals hall.

This is one bus line atm-mi.it/it/…20bus.pdf - there's another one too, but its website isn't working.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 16:02
Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or Rental Car from Varenna to Barolo?

Again, many thanks for your help. Is it easier from Milan Centrale to switch trains to pick up car at Malpensa or take express bus to Linate?