We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Italy....what to do?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Italy....what to do?

My family and I (Myself, husband and two kids 6 and 10) are travelling to Europe/UK for 5 weeks in July and spending about 10 of those days in Italy. The things we have on our list to see (of course I understand we won't be able to see them all) Are either Lake Garda or Como, Venice, Pisa, Rome, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. I also wouldn't mind spending a little time in Tuscany as well, but as I said understand I probably won't be able to fit it all in in that time frame. Is there somewhere we could possibly base ourselves for maybe a week and travel out on day tours to see some of the sights? A friend has told me that you can get a train from Rome to Pompeii. My kids have specifically requested seeing Venice and the Colosseum in Rome, so those two are definitely on the must see list. Seeing the Italian Lakes really appeal to me. Is our list at all doable? If not what should we cull and what would be the best way to travel around? Any advice recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 08:19
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Trenino Pippo
Sightseeing Tours
Genova Turgid
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Dafne
Sightseeing Tours
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Italy....what to do?

Like most first time visitors to Italy you have got a wish list of places you would like to visit which are a long way apart and you only have ten days! However at least you have reduced your must see list to just a couple of places which helps a lot. With only ten days available it would be best if you could restrict the number of bases to two and at the most three.

Since Rome and Venice are on your wish list this could form the bases of your trip but in the case of Venice suggest you stay in the Lake Garda area with a day visit to Venice. Although others may suggest one night in Venice.

On your train journey to Rome it would be possible to stop at Pisa, there are left lugggage facilities at the train station, making a quick vist to see the Tower. A day trip to Pompeii is on from Rome catch an early train to Naples then get the local train from there, same station, to Pompeii. At the enterance you can join a group with an official guide for €10 per head which is better than the audio guides.

No doubt others will have other suggestions , have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Italy....what to do?

Thank you so much, that's great advice :)

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Italy....what to do?

If you should be flying into Venice it would probably make sense to have a night in Venice, nice start to your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Italy....what to do?

Which city will you be arriving/departing Italy?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Italy....what to do?

Thanks everyone for your advice so far. ocpony we will be arriving by train from Switzerland, have yet to work out exactly where we will arrive, but we will be coming from Zermatt. Any advice on that was well would be great. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
6. Re: 10 days in Italy....what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17