We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

On this forum we have heard recent reports of some US banks not allowing the use of ATM or debit cards outside of their local US area, which was somewhat surprising.

More US banks are tightening debit card controls due to increasing fraud, like requiring PINs and blocking non domestic use altogether (including on line foreign transactions like buying train tickets) unless the bank is contacted to lift this restriction temporarily, sometimes for only specific country use. These restrictions could also affect ATM only cards although those always needed a PIN.

While it has long been necessary to notify credit card issuers of foreign use, it now seems a good reminder to talk foreign use of debit and ATM cards over with the bank before setting out to avoid getting caught short of funds. Banks notify of such changes, but sometimes they can get overlooked

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

What is "new" about this? I have long been having to alert my bank to both debit and credit card use when traveling. I'm not sure I understand what here is a "new" precaution? Unless, I missed something.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

One bank I use just put into effect new draconian restrictions, even for US use outside my US location, whereas before I did not have to notify them of overseas travel for that card Of course I always called the credit card companies..

This was only intended to be helpful to perhaps people travelling overseas for the first time or so and who might have not read any recent change notices from their banks. My apologies to anyone who finds such information alarmist rather than helpful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

No need to exaggerate my response; I merely asked how this was new as I have had to (with three separate banks) been doing this for years now.

I never said anything was "alarming" -

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

I have always had to notify my banks for international travel. For AmX it is not necessary.

"One bank I use just put into effect new draconian restrictions, even for US use outside my US location,"

Chase has often declined bigger charges when I am outside my US state (MN). When I visit my daughter in NY and spent $200 on groceries, Chase declined the use of my card and then sent me a text message asking if I jsut tried to put through a Charge. I text back 1 (yes), and then there are no more problems on that trip with that card. Wells Fargo doesnt' do this on charges outside of my own state.

5. Re: US Travellers - Debit Cards - New Precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:17