We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trenitalia

Orlando, Florida
9 posts
Save Topic
trenitalia

I've been checking the trenitalia website to book some trains during our stay in september. While our dates are not available yet, it looks like they have been posting them 120 days out. I have read though that summer train dates are updated early June...Does this mean the train times will change in June or more fares will be added? or will the ones posted 120 days out be accurate (and cheapest)? We are traveling between major cities so we know there will be plenty of trains available but mostly hoping to the the "super economy" fares if possible...

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,440 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,899 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,819 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trenitalia

Train times will probably not change much in June after the schedule change. Most of the trains that are not showing for June and later are regional trains which have the same price regardless of when you buy them.

The fast trains posted 120 days before your dates of travel will be the most accurate. I am sure you have done your research and know that super economy can't be changed and no refunds.

have a great trip!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,515 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trenitalia

No times already posted will be changed, and no new fares will be added. Existing super economy fares will disappear as soon as the 'basket' of fares at each price sells out and a 'basket' at the next price level up is put on sale.

For those trains for which times after June 14 are yet to appear, there will normally be few changes from current timetables. Most of these trains are Regional trains for which there are no advance reductions - to see fares use a date this week.

Fleet
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trenitalia

So there will be no new times on Le Frecce? I want to travel between Pescharia and venice on 7th, 8th or 11th Aug and the earliest direct train is showing as 9:43. Anything earlier you have to change. Does that mean there are earlier direct trains but that they are sold out?

Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trenitalia

@fleet: you should choose your departure time and set 5 as hour to see every morning train. If you don't, trenitalia will use your computer time as default.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trenitalia

If you mean Pescara, there are few direct trains to Venice. At most times of day you most change trains in Bologna.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Fleet
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trenitalia

Thanks, but I meant Peschiera Del Garda, sorry to confuse things. My ipad did a suggestion and I thought it looked right!

Fleet
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trenitalia

Thanks I've tried putting in '5' and still no others that are direct that I can book online. A friend has booked an 08:13 in July but I can't see this time on the list for the dates I'm interested in. Think I will go for the 08:43 from Peschiera Del Garda to Venezia Mestre and get a regional train from there to Santa Lucia. Trains back from Mestre are also later. Unless anyone else can advise on a better option either for the whole journey or for the last bit. I can still get the €9 euro tickets for the main journey so that seems the best deal to get us there with plenty of time to look around.

Any alternative suggestions gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,515 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trenitalia

First direct train to Venezia S. Lucia is 09.43, as you stated. There's one an hour earlier to Venezia Mestre but that won't be where you want to go!

So you'll have to change trains to arrive earlier.

Fleet
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trenitalia

Thanks for quick response. Is it sensible to book the 08:43 now before price increases and then purchase a ticket at Mestre to go to Santa Lucia? Assume quite a few trains will run there?

Cheers

Edited: 04 June 2014, 14:19
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trenitalia

Book the fast train now to get a discounted price. The Mestre to Santa Lucia ticket can be bought at any Trenitalia ticket office.