We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book coastal trains

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How to book coastal trains

Travelling early September. I have booked the fast train from Venice to Naples and will stay in Sorrento for a while and will then travel north to Rome for a while then to Livorno for a few days and eventually back to Venice through Florence and Milan.

I was wondering about doing the regionale trains along the coast. Is it possible and worthwhile? if I do a train search Naples to Rome, it has different boarding times and duration times how do you find out what towns each train goes through? Also to book a regionale train I assume I have to wait until after June 14 when the new timetables come out?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book coastal trains

Hi,

Using the trenitalia website it is easy to find out which stations various trains stop at. When you do your enquiry the results show train times, journey duration, type of train and cost as you've already found out. Next to the type of train is an information 'i' icon and if you click on this then it will give you the details of the stops the train makes.

There is no need to book regional trains (if you want to get an idea of cost just put in a search for a day within the next seven) as they never sell out. Just remember to validate your ticket.

Hope that helps a bit.

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book coastal trains

Next to the train number is a magnifying glass but when I click it, it only gives the start and finish stations and times. Not what line it runs on. Do the trains only go on one line?. How do I find a train to go the coastal route and if they do is it better than the direct route?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book coastal trains

Hi again,

When I go on the website www.trenitalia.com and look at the trains say from Naples to Rome then click on the 'i' symbol next to the train it says what the intermediate stops are. For example, on 21/5 the Frecciabianca is a direct, no stops train, the Intercity has 3 intermediate stops, and the regional train has 13 stops between Napoli Centrale and Roma Termini. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book coastal trains

It rather looks as if there is only one line the Regional and faster trains may have different tracks along the same line. By using the Regional trains all you achieve is a slower trip at a lower cost!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to book coastal trains

Only Frecciarossa and Frecciargento (and Italtreno) trains run on the dedicated modern high-speed lines.

All other types of train, including Frecciabianca and Intercity trains with reserved seats (as well as the Regional trains with no advance reductions and no reserved seats) run on the slower old line which between Naples and Rome is closer to the coast.

From Rome to Livorno all direct trains run close to the coast (though often not as close as it seems on a small scale map). Avoid all connections via Florence, which run entirely inland and are a waste of money for what is only a tiny decrease in Journey time.

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to book coastal trains

Thankyou to all for your help. I was originally searching on the Italiarail site through seat61 that is why I couldn't see the information icon. I will definitely use the direct route Rome to Livorno. I appreciate all the advice. thankyou

7. Re: How to book coastal trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:16