We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy itinerary for 17 days, Rome, Umbria, Amalfi Bari

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
199 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Italy itinerary for 17 days, Rome, Umbria, Amalfi Bari

My husband has a conference in Bari in early November, we plan to travel 2 1/2 weeks beforehand. I would like feedback on this potential itinerary...we enjoy beautiful scenery, quaint villages, countryside views, good food and walking with a bit of history and ruins as well.

I'm thinking of 3 days in Rome then renting a car doing 5 days in Umbria which I hear is picturesque, cheaper & less touristed than Tuscany, maybe we'll do a day trip to one of the towns there.Then drive to the Amalfi Coast to enjoy the coastal scenery, visiting Naples, Sorrento and Pompei spending 4 or 5 days in that area then leaving 2 days to see Bari where we'll be staying in any case.

Is this a reasonable itinerary time wise? Are there any 'must sees' that we'll be passing by that are worth including?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy itinerary for 17 days, Rome, Umbria, Amalfi Bari

Sounds fine to me. Be sure to get an IDP (International Drivers Permit) before leaving home. You cannot legally drive without one.

The only "must do's or see's" are the ones you choose yourself. Only you can decide what they are. Grab a good guide book of Italy and start reading. You have plenty of time to plan out this itinerary with sites that interest you.

donna

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
199 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy itinerary for 17 days, Rome, Umbria, Amalfi Bari

Thanks... it turns out we'll have 3 full weeks so I'm thinking of going to Florence for 3 days skipping Bari..and spending an extra day in Umbria . I visited Florence 30+ years ago and remember how lovely it was..

3. Re: Italy itinerary for 17 days, Rome, Umbria, Amalfi Bari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:16