We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adapters and converters necessary?

MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Adapters and converters necessary?

We will be traveling to Rome, Venice and Tuscany next month as a family, and will have 5 iPhones and an iPad with us. My plan is to bring 2 outlets to go power strips with us, and 2 adapters.

My questions are as such:

1. Do I need to buy/bring a converter as well to protect the phones & iPad? I certainly don't want to fry all of these electronics.

2. Do I buy the 3 prong adapter?

3. Is a strip with surge protection necessary?

4. If I wanted to bring my own hairdryer, I would definitely need the converter, correct?

Any help/information would be vastly appreciated! Many thanks -

Ellen

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

Even if you buy a converter your hairdryer will burn soon.

Usually an adpter is fine for small devices such as IPhone and IPad.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

You definitely need an adapter. I have never needed a coverter for charging my iPhone and iPad.

Whether or not you need a converter for your hairdryer depends on whether it is dual voltage or not. I never bring my hairdryer because the hotels we stay in always have one.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,045 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

Perhaps helpful -

magellans.com/travel-advice/…

magellans.com/travel-advice/tips/electricity/

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

I have picked up inexpensive hair dryers in Italy when I get if I need to - though hotels and many B&Bs already have them on hand - but, when I used to stay with friends in Rome, I just would repeatedly bring the Italian one over for every trip.

A converter weighs a ton - no reason to lug one of those around for any items.

The other items are all duel voltage and adapters are what is needed.

MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

Thank you all - very helpful and I feel much more confident. My only remaining question - the adapter I want is the three prong style, correct?

Many, many thanks!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

I get the 2-prong adapter, as not all outlets are 3 prong.

MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

Thank you again - the 2 prong adapter will work if it is a three prong outlet?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

This is what I always use for my iPod, iPad, macbook pro laptop, DSLR camera, Kindle, phone:

amazon.com/gp/…

It's actually two prong but that has always been fine wherever I have been - Been using this for about 8 trips in the past 3 years. I have four of them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,096 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

a power strip that is designed to handle 110 will not work even with an adapter in Europe. for most electronics you just need the plug adapter. hotels and apartments have hair dryers; it is rarely necessary to travel with one. If you must then just get a small dryer in any US drug store or department store that is dual voltage. I was using one I got 25 years ago until last year when it finally gave out (I suspect someone didn't flip the switch to 220)

10. Re: Adapters and converters necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 06:17