We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

I am a first time visitor to Italy and am hoping to get some assistance/ideas with developing an itinerary for a short trip. I will be visiting in Oct. 2014. I will be arriving at MXP (Malpensa) at 8:30AM on a Thursday and flying back to the US from MXP on the following Tuesday morning (5 nights). I plan on spending night 5 in the Milan area with an early flight the next morning. I will be traveling as a solo female and relying solely on public transportation.

Having an internal debate as to whether to spend all 5 nights in Milan and take a couple day trips, or immediately take the train to Florence after arriving in Milan and spending 4 nights there before returning to Milan. I was also considering Bologna as a base. Friends have suggested that I go straight to Rome, but I feel too much time would be spent traveling, checking in/out of hotels, etc. and should save it for another time.

I am interested in sightseeing, photography, history, museums, food, etc. I don't particularly care about shopping.

I'm not looking to spend more than 100 Euro/night for accommodations and prefer to have breakfast and wifi included.

Any advice or recommendations, particularly experiences from other solo travelers, would be much appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,026 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

Just pick the city you want based on what there is that is of interest to you there. From what you describe - it could be any number of cities/towns in Italy; a good guidebook will help you decide. Personally, I wouldn't spend time in Milan beyond sleeping there a night before my flight - but, if there is enough to engage you there or nearby, then consider it.

Out of the two you mention, I'd pick Florence - given its extraordinary art works, etc - but - again, this is your trip and there are many (many) other choices you might make. October is still high season but you should still be able to book even if you don't yet for a bit if you take some time to do some more research. For such a brief few days, I would want to be very sure I was visiting somewhere meaningful to me.

You can use www.venere.com and www.booking.com to search for lodging - you can sort there by budget, etc.

Trains are a breeze in Italy - and so is being a solo traveler, female or male.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

I would not spend much time in Milan, from there you could also head to Venice and stop at Verona and Padova (Padua) on the way, without wasting too much time travelling. Also, 100 Euro's might be difficult to find decent accomodations, as you are still in high season. Good luck

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

Thank you for your responses, I have ordered a few guidebooks that I need to delve in to.

I would love to visit Venice, but unfortunately haven't found much within my budget for accommodations. I have found a few hotels that may fit the bill in Florence. I'll continue to research that area. The more that I research Milan for my interests, I believe that 1 day/night should be sufficient.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 00:58
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

Be sure to make your one day/night in Milan your last day, since you'll need to be there anyway for your flight home.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

That is my plan, per my original post.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 03:53
6. Re: 1st time solo female visitor- Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 07:16