We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

touring Italy by car

Vienna, Austria
1 post
Save Topic
touring Italy by car

Hi,

we are planning to tour through Italy by car in the end of June - beginning July, driving all the way to Sicily with 4 overnight stops, staying in Sicily 1 week and driving back again (5 stops). I would be really grateful if someone could help me with a few answers:

- is it necessary to pre-book campsites (tent pitches) if we want to use our own tent? I can find many campings, but some require to stay minimum 2 nights, and they usually don't say much about tent pitches.

- are there any estimates as to how much could the road tolls may cost driving all the way from the Austrian border to the south of Italy/Sicily?

- we've got some warnings about safety in the Southern Italy. Should we be concerned more than travelling anywhere else?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: touring Italy by car

The cost for Italian Toll Roads is basically the same as what you pay in other EU countries. One good thing tho, you DON'T need a vignette.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,798 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: touring Italy by car

Check estimated driving distances and times, as well as cost on ViaMicheln.

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Don't leave luggage unattended in the car anywhere.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k7521…

Perhaps consider an agricampeggio in Sicily.

An agriturismo we can camp at?:

tripadvisor.com/…35629957

Vagabonda

3. Re: touring Italy by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:16