We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain!

Texas
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rain!

Someone mentioned the weather, so I looked up the ten day forecast for italy.

It appears it will be raining, thunder storming, more than half of the places and days on my visit!

I was bracing for maybe one or two days rain, maybe...

So upsetting!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,647 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain!

No one can accurately predict the weather more than 2 days in advance. I wouldn't get too worried about it until you wake up and find it raining.

Donna

manisa
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain!

Same for me Denise. I will be in rome tomorrow for 6 days and it looks starting from monday it will be rainy with storm everyday:( we were planning to visit borghese gardens on sunday and collesium,forum on monday now very suspicious about our plan.just hoping these rains not to continue all day.

CA
Level Contributor
7,564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain!

Don't worry about it. Bring some waterproof shoes, some rain gear and a decent umbrella.

This is great product, very compact:

froggtoggs.com/mens/all-weather-suits.html

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,647 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain!

A week ago the weather called for sunny skies and hot temps for the next 10 days here where I live. Right now we have horrible thunderstorms. It goes to show that you cannot predict the weather more than two day out. Monday it might be bright and shiny or it may be rainy. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Anything is possible. Don't get upset about what the weather "could" be, wait until the day before then check the forecast.

Donna

Edited: 12 June 2014, 07:57
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain!

I have visited Italy during their rainy season in the winter. Average rainfall for Rome in Nov for the whole month is 100 mm (3.93 inches). I have been in Chicago when we got that much rain in one day. Average rainfall for June is 20mm which is 0.8 inches (for a month). I have often been approached by umbrella sellers in Rome during "rain" when I had a perfectly good umbrella in my bag, but I decided that the level of drizzle was insufficient for and umbrella.

It might rain on more than half the days you visit, but I doubt that it will rain for the whole day, and when it does it might not rain much. Easily fixed by an umbrella. On rainy days you can visit museums and churches (loaded with art) and deal with the rain on the way there and back.

My visit to Rome in Feb 2005 it did rain on half the days I was there, but on waking up in the morning, it was sunny and nice and progressed to a storm in the late afternoon, and then it cleared up for the evening.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain!

Yes, unfortunately it is true. We have just had about a week or more of "Ciclope" - The cyclops, or hot winds off of Africa, creating quite a heat wave. However, there is a disturbance coming down from the Northeast which will cause thunderstorms, heavy rain, hail and even potential tornadoes in the plain areas. Just do the best you can - book lots of museum visits and other indoor activities. Though I think the heaviest of this will be in the North. It looks like it is going to improve by Wednesday/Thursday. Here is a good link with the report, though it is all in Italian but perhaps you could use a translator.

ilmeteo.it/portale/…

7. Re: Rain!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16