We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestion

London, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestion

Dear Experts,

We are a young couple visiting Italy in September mid. Flight tickets are booked reaching Milan on 12th of Sep. afternoon and leaving from Rome in afternoon of 28th of September. We are vegetarians so food is not a priority. We enjoy architecture, Piazza, beautiful small towns (perfect for photography) and painting (though not a buff). We will be using public transport and chalked out our itinerary as below.

Question is whether it covers all the major things or we can switch some place with something I have not included in this itinerary? Whether it is practical or some makeovers are required?

Thanks in advance for evaluating this itinerary and providing valuable suggestions.

12th of Sep - Reach Milan...Rest..Explore city

13th of Sep - Duomo, The Last Supper...17.05 train to Verona.

14th of Sep - Roman Amphitheater, Romeo-Juliet Sights. 13.21 train to Padua. Scorvegni Chapel, Sant Antonio Basilica.

15th of Sep - 8.11 train to Venice..Doge Palace, St. Mark basilica , Canals.

16th of Sep - 8.37 train to Bologna...San Petronia Basilica, Pinacoteca Nazionale, Torre degli

17th of Sep - 6.28 train to Genoa..Places to visit TBD

18th of Sep - 7.45 train to Monterosso...Explore 5 Villages especially Vernezza.

19th of Sep - 9.01 train to Pisa..Leaning Tower...14.32 train to Florence.

20th of Sep - Florence..Uffizi Gallery..Ponte Vechhio

21st of Sep - Day trip to Siena..Grand II Campo Square, Striped Cathedral

22nd of Sep - Academia Gallery..18:04 train to Naples

23rd of Sep - Naples Museum...13.26 train to Pompeii..Ruins..18.16 train to Sorrento

24th of Sep - Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi-Ravello-Sorrento using SITA bus

25th of Sep - 09.25 Fery to Capri..16.30 ferry to Naples..18.19 train to Rome.

26th of Sep - Colloseum, Borghese Gallery, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Novana

27th of Sep - Vatican City, St. Peter's Basilica, Sistine Chapel, Museum.

28th of Sep - Flight Back home.

Level Contributor
203 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

You said you're vegetarians and therefore food does not matter!? Italy is one of the best countries to eat wonderful vegetarian dishes. Most menus will have vegetarian classic Italian dishes on it if they are proper local restaurants. They are masters of producing great food using in season and local vegetables: mushrooms, chesnuts, chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, aspergus etc. etc.. Do read up a bit on classic Italian cooking and enjoy! One of my favourite dishes: pasta with lemon and orange sauce with parmegiano. I does not sound right, but in the hands of an Italian it is wonderful refreshing and tasty dish. Any decent restaurant will have a selection of fresh grilled vegetables. Most of the primi will be a mixture of pasta, cheese and vegetables.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Thanks a lot GeertD for the view...Its really grateful to know that we can enjoy some local cuisine.

CA
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Better make a daily plan so you can see how much is left over after all this relocation time. Every time you get unpacked and settled in a new hotel, you will have burned up at least half a day, sometimes more.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

I'd reduce the number of cities by half to have time to enjoy!

CA
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Quickest train schedules here [although not where you buy tickets}:

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

All I'm suggesting is that you make out a daily plan. Upon arrival at a station, figure a couple of hours later to be walking out of the door of your hotel to have lunch and do some sightseeing. If that's enough time to see what you want to see, then fine. Head out again the next morning.

Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
203 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Ooh and I forgot the frittata di verdure. They put all sorts of vegetables in batter and deep fry: zucchini, apples, cauliflower, nettles, etc.. Lovely starter.

Risotto with zucchini or mushrooms. They might put chicken stock in that maybe. But worth looking into.

Rome, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

If your goal is to "cover all the major things", I'd say it seems well planned out. My first impression though is that it seems very rushed. Sometimes it is nice to have time to just explore a city or once you get there you will find several other things you would like to do while you are there. Getting to and from train stations, finding and unloading at hotels, eating, walking or commuting to sites, etc... can all eat up a lot of time so it can be difficult to check out a new city each day.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

My head started to spin as I read your itinerary, you're definitely going to cover a lot of ground, but are you really giving yourselves time to actually enjoy the places you visit?

You will probably come back with lots and lots of photos, but is that all you want? It seems to me that you've left hardly any time to explore, simply smell the flowers and just soak up the atmosphere of these places, However, we all travel differently and this kind of trip might suit you very well. I would definitely not try to squeeze in anything else.

I agree with Geert D regarding the food, I'm a vegetarian and love eating there. I think they often use meat stock in soups and risotto, so that is worth bearing in mind.

CA
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

I assume you know that advance reservations are needed for the Last Supper.

Always check the "contori" section of the menu.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Thanks guys for reviewing and providing feedback. I will revisit my itinerary and try to optimize.