We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia Carry On Luggage

Lancaster CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alitalia Carry On Luggage

I'll being flying non-stop on Alitalia from Los Angeles to Rome in Sept. I've been looking at Alitalia's website regarding carry on luggage. My husband and can travel light and planned on only taking carry on luggage for our trip. One carry on each that would fit in overhead storage and one that would fit under the seat in front of us. According to the Alitalia website, the max weight of a carry on bag is 8 kg or approximately 17.10 lbs. Am I reading this correctly? Do they allow the 22 in carry on to be stored overhead? I'm hoping to hear from some folks that fly Alitalia regularly. Thanks so much!

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

I assume the 22 in. carryon you refer to is a 22 in. wheelie? If so, why don't you check it, since you should each be allowed one free checked bag. There is huge demand for that overhead space these days (although more so on domestic flights because all checked bags generally cost) and all those wheelies slow down the boarding process and take up a lot of space.

I have no idea what Alitalia's official position is; wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have one, or if it had one it didn't follow it, as that has been my experience with them -- i.e., inconsistent.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

Carry on rule is equal for all airlines, september are consider high season, if you have more then one or ur 22inc is not a samsonite or delsey commonly smaller then other brand, most likely it wont fit the carryon sizer therefore u will have to ck it in, in addition be aware that the airport is really strict on the weight, dont try to make it over 10 cause is not going to be carry on.

Lancaster CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

Thanks for you quick response!

QQ2: To answer your first question, yes, my bag is a wheeled bag, and it's actually a 20 in bag (my mistake). My husbands bag is also a 20 in wheeled bag.

When possible, we like to carry on because after a 10 hour flight we would rather not wait at the luggage claim but rather get to our hotel and check in.

Proibita21: When you say, "don't try to make it over 10", I'm unsure of the meaning...... We won't try to do anything the airline won't allow. We will check our bags if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to get to Italy!

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

I have flown on Alitalia between LAX and Rome on the nonstop during the last several years and have carried on a 22" Travelpro (wheels are essentially flush with the bottom of the bag) along with a smaller underseat bag without a problem. The Travelpro goes in the bin. Do be vigilant about the weight limit because that is strictly enforced.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

I have flown on Alitalia between LAX and Rome on the nonstop during the last several years and have carried on a 22" Travelpro (wheels are essentially flush with the bottom of the bag) along with a smaller underseat bag without a problem. The Travelpro goes in the bin. Do be vigilant about the weight limit because that is strictly enforced.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

If your roller is truly 20" you should be safe...but they do have a weight limit. I have no idea what it is this year...probably close to 35 pounds. Best to find out from Alitalia....

Lancaster CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

Thank you for your responses!

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

As long as you're okay with doing whatever they tell you to do at the airport, you should be fine. I assume if Alitalia thinks your carryon stuff is too heavy they will tell you and you will check the larger bags. The one thing one needs to be careful of these days is not exceeding the weight limit on the checked bags on international flights, as they tend to charge quite a bit for the excess; however, I don't think your wheelies, if checked, would even come close to that limit.

Lancaster CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

Thanks again!

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia Carry On Luggage

I would be sure you are within the weight limits of 17# for,carryon. . Sometimes they are very strict about this as we found out when leaving Florence. We had to reshuffle our stuff, but we were checking other bags so it wasn't a big deal. If you do not want to check a bag, then watch your weight limit.