We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

Hi,

I'm planning to do a self drive next year through Italy for around 10-14 days. I've only been into Italy twice very briefly before to Rome and also to Florence/Pisa.

We are a group of four (a couple in their 20/30s and my parents in their 50s) so we want to try and appeal to everyone. We are all fairly active, all foodies, all love stunning scenery and beaches.

We want to see as much as possible without rushing, but I havent got a clue where to start. I'm keen to include some of the major cities like Rome/Florence if possible as my partner hasnt been to Italy before (thinking of saving Venice for a trip on its own).

Accommodation wise we love characterful guest houses or boutique properties. I also like the idea of stopping on a vineyard in Tuscany etc to appease my need for good food and wine!

Has anyone got any suggestions on the route, suggested stops, suggested accommodations, sights not to miss etc?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kate

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

Step one: Into which city are you flying, or are you driving your own car from the UK?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

I'll be flying into Italy, but I haven't set where I will be flying into (or departing from) as not sure where to visit in between.

We will then be hiring a car/cars when we get there.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

As you say that you will have a car, please read up on the ZTLs (Limited Traffic Zones) that operate in almost all towns and cities in Italy. Here are a couple of articles with information on driving in Italy and the ZTLs:

roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tus…

mesh

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

If you want to include Rome and Florence, it would make sense to fly into Rome, visit for a few days, then train to Florence, visit for a few days, THEN pick up the car and do your driving.

Be VERY CAREFUL of ZTL's, as even the small towns will have them and the fines can be quite large.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

Getting the train between Florence and Rome seems a good option then!

So following from Rome is there anywhere that would be recommended on the way down such as places in Tuscany, perhaps a lovely vineyard or guesthouse that someone can recommend?

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

I agree start off with a few days in Rome then train to Florence, few days there just to see the sights. Then take the shuttle bus to the airport and pick-up a self drive hire car, do not attempt to pick-up or return in Florence itself.

Now you will have around six days to explore the Tuscany countryside by car. Never been so cannot give any recommendations, look at these Threads for starters .

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187902-i332-k72…

tripadvisor.co.uk/…58742268

Best of luck with your planning , come back and ask questions in the Tuscany Forum.

7. Re: Self drive Italy- Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:16