We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

Would like to take my wife and kids to Italy in the summer of 2015. Am a little concerned that kids 14 and 12 may not enjoy the traditional ruins/museums/history aspect as much as we would. Her family came from areas around Venice and Sicily, so I'd like to try to see those areas if possible.

Any family friendly tour suggestions for a 10-12 day trip?

TY in advance

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

Sicily is a 2-week destination, so with only 10-12 days for both Venice and Sicily, you're unlikely to find any tours running this route.

You could however design the itinerary yourself with an open-jaws itinerary arriving in Sicily and departing from Venice. It's best to depart from Venice, because Sicily would require a connecting flight.

Delta is an Alitalia partner, and Delta runs direct seasonal flights from New York to Venice. Although there are low-cost airlines running service between Venice and Sicily, you would optimally book a single straight-through transatlantic (one itinerary) ticket with multiple destinations.

There's something in Sicily for everyone, so your children could surely enjoy a holiday in Venice and Sicily.

Perhaps research your wife's ancestral town, so you can visit her actual town.

All the best!

Vagabonda

2. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 16:40
3. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 14:35
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,951 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

Pick either Venice or Sicily. Venice is on the mainland and eaiser to vist other Italian cities on the same trip. My own ancestors came from Sicily. I had been to Itlay more than a couple of time before I visited Sicliy and it's ancestral towns. Sicily of off a ways fron everywhere else and not as easy to combine on a multi-city visit with towns on the mainland.

One of my daughters does not like to travel. I took her on one trip to Rome and that was it (when she was 15), and she has declined further offers. I saved up money to take her on spring break from college and she declined. I took the other daughter to Capri and Ischia with that money (she knew that was how I was going to spend the money). Maybe you can arrange for your boys to stay with friends or their grandparents. I can't see the point of paying to take people on a trip they are not going to enjoy. If you don't take the boys, you can also visit at some cheaper time (and cooler) of year than during summer vacation.

5. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 14:33
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

Just because some children dislike travel doesn't mean all children dislike travel, and how would you know without trying?

If you're concerned that your children won't enjoy the traditional ruins/museums/history aspect as much as you would, then why plan that type of holiday?

Successful family holidays have a bit for everyone!

And if your wife's family came from areas around Venice and Sicily, and you'd like to try to see those areas if possible, it would be lovely to introduce your children to her ancestral towns.

Many combine one town or one area on Italy's mainland with Sicily.

If you don't book all segments of your itinerary on one ticket, fly Alitalia, Air One, or Volotea from Catania to Venice; fly Alitalia, Air One or Volotea from Palermo to Venice; or fly Ryanair from Catania, Palermo or Trapani to Venice Treviso.

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,951 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

"Just because some children dislike travel doesn't mean all children dislike travel, and how would you know without trying?"

By the time a child is 12, he/she often has been on numerous family vacations and the child itself is able to voice their opinions about the latest family vacation. Family vacations with grade school age children are different from traveling with teenaged children. Traveling with teenagers is more problematic.

Often children by the time they are 20 or so are thrilled to visit their Ancestral homeland while 5 years earleir they jsut want to hang out with their friends. Not everyone changes as they grow older. My younger daughter passed on an opportunity to visit her great-grandparents' ancestral towns.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 20:04
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

YOu have a bit over the year to plan and prep the boys. Have you talked to them about the joys of travel? What are their interests? Do they have any inclination for the arts? History? The adventure of travel? If not, maybe it is not too late to sew some seeds into their minds? Use the time to inject some enthusiasm for seeing the world and experiencing new cultures. You'll be the best judge to see if they will enjoy the adventure. Ask them to help plan the trip. That's part of the fun.

Did it with my children and now doing that with the minds of the grandchildren.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

Yes, ask your kids to help plan the trip with you!

And balance those historical sites with some kid-oriented activities that can be found in Sicily, like trekking Mount Etna, boating into caves, snorkeling, diving, beaches, horseback riding, acquaparks, amusement parks, adventure parks, castles....

http://www.etnaland.eu/

http://etnavventura.it/index.php

http://www.museodelletna.it/en/

Vagabonda

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy in 15, but with teenage kids

As a veteran of traveling with two teenagers, I think Vagabonda hit it right - intersperse teen-fun adventures with history/cultural things. Their eyes, and minds, will glaze over if put on a diet of 100% culturally approved activities. Find out what Italian teens do in a few of your target cities and let your children visit as well, with you supervising, of course. With a year to plan, with the children involved in the planning, it should be even more fun than the trip itself, a common occurrence, right?