We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Hi,

Looking to stay at either of these places in September.

Can you give me info and pros/cons for each please?

Also, how easy is it to get to from Bergamo?

Then need to go to Milan after Lake Garda - again, how would we do this via public transport? Is it much to hire a car out there?

Any advice would be seriously appreciated as I have been trawling the internet for hours!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,072 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,853 reviews
from US$123.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,737 reviews
from US$112.60*
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Hi, how long will you be going for?

From Bergamo you can take a train (with a change en route) to Peschiera at the south-east of the lake then a bus to any of the towns you mentioned.

Peschiera is on the Venice/Milan train line so you would be able to take a train from Peschiera to Milan.

Garda and Bardolino are quite similar in size. Both have plenty restaurants, shops, bars, cafes etc. and both have a good boat service to other places on the lake.

Lazise is smaller and less busy than the others but still has plenty restaurants to choose from as well as good shopping. However, it has a less-frequent boat service than the other two. This is the current boat timetable for the whole lake that will still be in effect in September:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/…20Rapidi.pdf

These links may help you to decide:

lakegarda-exclusively.co.uk/Lake-Garda-Touri…

http://www.lakegarda.com/bardolino.php

http://www.lakegarda.com/garda.php

http://www.lakegarda.com/lazise.php

http://www.lakegarda-holidays.co.uk/resorts/

Sometimes the choice of where to stay can come down to availability of accommodation, or finding a hotel that you really like the look of.

Hiring a car is a personal choice. If you are only there for a few days then the public transport may be enough for you to travel around. If you want to see some of the harder-to-reach places away from the lakeside then hiring a car may be a good idea.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Thanks for your advice.

We are planning on staying at Lake Garda for 5-6 days then on to Milan for 3 days.

We found it very difficult getting around on public transport in Paris(!!) so am a little unsure of what to expect.

We ideally want to stay somewhere that has restaurants/not too quiet and preferably near a beach (sandy if possible) but not too touristy (if that makes sense?!)

Just had a look at the boat timetable - I presume you have to catch all boats from Desanzo or Peshciera?

Thanks again

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

It was my husband that suggested those areas - I think it's because they have sandy beaches?!

Can you recommend any other beautiful spots to stay on the lake that aren't too quiet either?

Couple in 40s no kids. Flying into Bergamo if that makes much difference.

What is Peschiera del Garda like? Desenzano? and other places on the East? Also, Sirmione?

As you can tell, we have literally no idea!

We need to stay in either Monza or Milan after for the grand prix.

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Sorry - just read the bottom link - most helpful.

It i now between Garda and Bardolino!!! Because they both sound quite lively and are good for transport links (right?)

Pros & Cons for each please :-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Hi, the lake isn't really a beach destination - the beaches are naturally shingle rather than sand. There are one or two man-made sandy beaches - one is a small stretch of sand near the campsites in Lazise, and there's a larger one in Maderno on the western shore which you have to pay to use. I believe there may be one or two others near Manerba/Moniga.

The largest beach area is at Riva in the north of the lake:

360globe.net/italy/…public-beach.html

You don't have to go to Desenzano or Peschiera to get the boats. The timetables are confusing but you will soon get used to them, and all the boat docks have signs showing timetables and showing you how to get from one place to another. Say, for example, you wanted to get the first boat of the day from Bardolino to Garda - if you look at the timetable you'll see there's a boat leaving Peschiera at 8.00am. You will get on the boat in Bardolino at 8.45 that gets to Garda at 9.00.

I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever town you choose between Garda and Bardolino. As I said before, both have plenty shops, restaurants, etc and both have a good boat service. There are local buses to take you to other towns on the eastern shore as well as Verona.

Some people find the narrow streets in the historic centre of Garda a bit claustrophobic, but on the other hand there are lots of very good walks from Garda and it's in a sheltered bay.

Bardolino is well placed if you want to walk the lake path as it goes to Garda in one direction and to Lazise in the other. I can't think of any cons for Bardolino.

Coming from Bergamo and leaving again for Milan, you may find the town of Salo on the western shore another one to consider.

You can search for info on all the other lake towns using the links in the first reply.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Thank you so much for your advice! I understand the timetable now.

Can you walk to Lezise from Garda?

Which would you say out of Garda & Bardolino is 'better' personally? I mean does one have better places to eat? More to see? better scenery?

Thanks again

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

Hi, my personal 'better' town is Bardolino, not much difference though but I find Bardolino more open with wider streets and a wider lakeside promenade. There are numerous restaurants catering for all tastes and budgets, you would be spoilt for choice. From the lakeside there are some lovely views down towards Peschiera in the south, across to the peninsular of Sirmione and even further to Desenzano and up to Salo, you can also see the beginning of the mountains on the western shore. Using Google Streetview you can 'walk' along the promenades of both towns to give you a better idea.

There are some grassed areas between the two towns where people sit for sunbathing and swimming in the lake and also some small pebble 'beach' areas along the path towards Cisano.

The walk from Garda to Lazise would take 2hours, slightly shorter from Bardolino, around 1.5 hours. Cisano is a good place to stop for a coffee or a drink, and you can always return either by bus or ferry.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

I don't think you will be disappointed whichever you choose. I usually stay in Garda but always spend some time in Bardolino.

I like the walks in the hills behind Garda to villages like Marciaga, Castion or even to Torri del Benaco - or the walk along the lakeside to Punta san Vigilio in one direction and to Bardolino/Lazize in the other.

Garda has more lakefront restaurants and cafes but, as Tepore said, Bardolino's lakefront area is wider.

As far as scenery is concerned, both towns are similar as they are so close together.

As well as looking at Google Streetview you could Google some images of both towns to see which one appeals to you more.

Or have a look at the hotel listings to see if one particular hotel stands out and ticks all your boxes.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194771-Garda_Provi…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g194683-Bardolino_P…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

In leaning towards garda for some reason.

Who do you usually book your hotel with? We will be flying with Ryanair purely down to cost!

Ideally want a 4* or really good 3* modern - 4 or 5nts

Thanks again

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Garda - Garda, Lezise or Bardolino?

We always book our accommodation direct with the hotels, they all have online booking which is usually quick and easy. You could use something like http://www.booking.com/ to get an idea of availability and prices but you will get the best prices and any offers by booking direct and not all hotels use booking agencies. September will still be very busy so you really need to try to get something booked fairly soon.

Its also worth remembering that even though Ryanair might be cheapest, they fly to Milan Bergamo so you have to take into consideration both the time and costs in getting to the Lake, especially if you will be arriving later in the day. If you can get flights to Verona, even if they cost more, you will benefit greatly due to its short distance from the lake.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 09:53