We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

Bengaluru, India
14 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

Hello All,

Me and my husband will be travelling in europe in sept-oct. We have been exploring different accommodation options, but one thing which strikes me is that, even though private rooms seems to offer really nice facilities and amny of them has great reviews on airbnb, apparently no one really prefers them and there are very few questions about them in TA forums. Am I missing something? Can some one do a comparison of Hotels Vs Private rooms while travelling in Erurope?

Thanks!

Bengaluru, India
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

See?! This is what I mean! No replies yet!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
391 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

My friend and I just returned from 45 days in Italy. Sometimes we stayed in hotels and other times in rooms or apartments. For most of the rooms/apartments there were no owners or managers on site; after greeting us and giving us keys, they left with instructions to phone them if we had any questions or concerns. This did give us a lot of privacy ,but left us to fend for ourselves in finding bus routes, good restaurants, etc. If you would like someone available to assist you on a regular basis, I'd suggest a hotel. If you're comfortable on your own, choose private rooms/apartments.

Bengaluru, India
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

Hello Sandy,

Thanks for the reply.

When I look at the reviews in airbnb I find that there are many hosts about whom guests have expressed appreciation in terms of communication and facilities offered. airbnb has a review parameter named communication where people can give upto 5 starts to a particular host. Based on what criteria did you choose your hosts?

I am really keen on this because I am finding out that most of affordable accommodations are private rooms and I am using a lot of them in my travel... Just want to make sure I am not missing something important..

Thanks again!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

In Eorope there is generally three types of accommodation available for visitors. Hotels with full facilities, apartments with more than one room and some form of cooking facilities and room only, sometimes refered to as bed and breakfast accommodation. It appears that it is the bed and breakfast type of accommodation that you are interested in finding.

It does attract quite an interest since it is usually the cheapest accommodation available and some people find that the personal contact provided by the owner gives them a direct involvement with local people. One disadvantage with this type of accommodation is that it is usually situated some way from city centres so you have the additional transport costs involved. I have to agree that most TA Reviews discused in the Forums do concern the relative merits of full facility hotels which I suppose reflects the interest of the majority of posters.

Here however is a recent example of a room only rewiew for one of the Cinque Terre villages where room only is the majority of the accommodation available.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187821-i2522-k7…

Bengaluru, India
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

hello Love2Roam..

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I assume private rooms are same as B&B. I am choosing them based on reviews and location searching in google maps, and I do like to mingle with local people and other tourists. So I feel kind of assured that I m in right direction. Thanks.

6. Re: Hotel Vs Privare rooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:17