We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I just cannot decide - please help:

Cape Town
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I just cannot decide - please help:

I am flying into Milan on 10 September 2014.

I am considering two options:

FIRST OPTION:

Go directly to Bergamo (from Malpensa), spend 9 nights there and do 3 or 4 day trips from Bergamo, then spend 3 nights in Venice and then return to Milan for 2 nights and fly home.

SECOND OPTION:

Arrive in Milan and spend 2 nights, then go to Bologna for 7 nights and do 2 or 3 day trips from there, then spend 3 nights in Venice and then return to Milan for 2 nights and fly home.

I guess the question is, Bergamo or Bologna for the longest part of the stay?

I am looking for a more peaceful holiday and do not want to be travelling from city to city / hotel to hotel every second or third day. The "speed" of both these itinerary options suit me fine.

The last time I was in Italy was in 1982 - so, basically, all will be new to me. But, at the same time, I do not want to try and see all of Italy in two weeks!

I am a 54 year old female traveller, travelling on my own. My interests are more relaxed than frenetic. Good food, interesting/beautiful places, long walks, people watching, photography.

I have done my share of museums, churches, art galleries. Although, I will still pick one or two that pique my interest, but my purpose will not be to go into every single one I come across.

Any thoughts or any problems you see with either of these itineraries will be appreciated.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

Additional note: I will be travelling by train.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

The only way to decide is to make a list in each city of things you want to see and do. Pick either the one with the most or the least amount to do based on how active you want to be. This is a personal decision and no one can make if for you, nor should they. Once you've picked your sites if you want to come back with a list we can help you put it in a good working order so that you can have a relaxed trip.

Donna

Cape Town
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

Thank you for your response, Donna.

I was thinking that Bologna would be good for food, probably walks and potential day trips to: Parma/Modena, Florence, Faenza, Lucca, Ferrara. (Are these all feasible day trips?)

On the other hand, I was thinking that Bergamo would be good for the interest in the alta/bassa experience and potential day trips to Verona, the lakes, Brescia, Mantua. (Are these all feasible day trips?)

Which option would you think would be the best for the most varied experiences regarding day trips and great for photography?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

Bergamo is perhaps more scenic and restful.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

Thanks, samd.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

Sounds like me.. Im traveling Solo at the end of October.

I have changed my itinerary many times. Let me know what you end up doing. I am going to be in Vienna and Dolomite Mountains for the 1st half of my trip and then Venice and Florence for 6 to 7 days. I keep wondering if I should see Verona or go to Rome and spend less time in each city.

I had not planned on going solo but my friend backed out so I am doing it. Never been to Europe . Turning 50 while there. I am comfortable with traveling alone but don't want to do everything by myself - want to meet people. So I am doing some mini - day tours.

Jennifer

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

Another thing to take into consideration - will there be any conventions in Bologna during the time you plan to be there? This can really escalate hotel prices and availability.

Durban
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

I will be in milan week of the 16 th sept and venice on that weekend, I am still finalizing my trip but getting suggestions from locals, will let u know some of their recommendations.

9. Re: I just cannot decide - please help:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:15