We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Coast

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Coast

Hello,

I am planning to spend ten days in Italy in August and wanted to gauge views on whether a trip down the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Capri can be achievable in a couple of days.

I am planning to cover Rome, Florence, Venice and Pisa (with a day trip to Naples) over the ten days, with scope to extend to include the Amalfi Coast for 2 nights.

I am traveling with a small child who is very keen to visit Pompei but mindful we are already covering several major places already.

Travel would be mainly using Rail and for August.

Any comments / suggestions would be valuable

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Naples
Naples
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,576 Reviews
from US$74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,980 Reviews
from US$108.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from US$395.80*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,632 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Coast

You barely have enough time to visit the places you are already visiting. I'd remove at least one of those spots to make this a more enjoyable trip where you can really see something of each place.

In the high heat/humidity of the summer, all that rushing around (and, with your itinerary you will be spending a lot of time getting to and from train stations, times in the train, etc) can be quite exhausting especially when there is a little one along.

You spend about one-half day when you move locations and with all there is to see in each of these places (well, except the leaning tower), you will really barely see a thing - I wouldn't add anymore to it; the Amalfi Coast takes roughly 4 hours to reach (one way) with a number of different public transportation means. It is not an easy area to reach and once there, you would really have only one day - I can't imagine that would be a good idea.

Also, Pompei has no shade and in August it will be like being in a broiler so, if you go, go as early as humanly possible so you are there before the hottest point of the day.

If you really want to go south of Rome - I'd stick to Florence, Rome and Naples/AC/Sorrento only. Venice is a long way from any of these places.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Coast

Thanks so much - you've helped validate my assumptions

We need to be in Venice at the end of the trip to meet family

I am looking at day trips from Rome to Pompeii but trying to decide whether it's worth proceeding down to Sorrento & see the Amalfi Coast.

Thanks also for the tip on heat & shade - we will come well prepared!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Coast

Thanks so much - you've helped validate my assumptions

We need to be in Venice at the end of the trip to meet family

I am looking at day trips from Rome to Pompeii but trying to decide whether it's worth proceeding down to Sorrento & see the Amalfi Coast.

Thanks also for the tip on heat & shade - we will come well prepared!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Coast

Note that Sorrento, which has good transportation to Pompeii and Naples is not actually on the Amalfi Coast. The lovely Amalfi coast towns have many steps, pebble beaches, and poor pubic transportation for DAY TRIPS. They can be considered different destinations for peripatetic travelers like your schedule.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 02:06
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Pompeii
Pompeii
Naples
Naples
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
5. Re: Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16