We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

Dear Friends,

I am a student in Saarbrucken. My parents are visiting me in October. I am planning to take them on a 3-4 days trip to Italy. I would like to cover Venice and Rome specifically. I would like to get suggestions on how I can plan my trip and how much it would cost (it would be great if it's cost effective). Please let me know about the bookings as well. Since I am totally new to travelling in general and travelling in Europe, it would be great if you all could give me crisp suggestions :) Looking forward for your responses. Thanks in advance.

PS: Is a trip to paris from Italy possible? Just a rough idea. Please let me know abt it as well. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,055 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,846 reviews
from US$125.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,733 reviews
from US$113.70*
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

Personally, I think you will really have your work cut out for you just managing to do Venice and Rome in 3-4 days, and can't imagine how you would also squeeze Paris in as well. I would save that for a another trip.

Actually, I would consider doing just Rome OR Venice in such a short period. I would start by getting a good guidebook, reading it, and thinking about the things in Italy that will most interest you and your parents, and going from there. I think Venice is particularly well suited to a weekend first trip to Italy but, depending on your interests, you may decide otherwise.

Are you near an airport that has an airline providing discount flights to Italy? You could consider that or train.

WHerever you go, one of the best ways to keep costs under control is to book ahead -- plane, train, hotels, whatever. Read the hotel reviews on the this website for the places you decide to visit and look for well-reviewed ones in your budget. Then check for hotel websites and see what kind of prices you are offered there. I have had good experience booking directly through hotel websites.

CA
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

Saarbrucken to Venice you can fly or take trains, the latter probably taking 2 or 3 hours more, factoring in extra time in airports. So basically all day. So given that you may wish to visit Venice only. From there to Rome on the train takes 3.5 hours.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

Thank you for your valuable comment. It helped. Thanks a lot.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

Thank you for your valuable comment. It helped. Thanks a lot.

5. Re: Planning a vacation with parents - HELP NEEDED

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:15