We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

Due to a number of personal issues, this is a very last-minute trip, and we only have a week (7-10 days) this August for holiday. Teens are easy travelers....they have studied Latin and European History, are great foodies, also great fun-loving adventurers. Would like to stay in 1 or 2 cities, and maybe see the coast. However, I can't be "off the grid", and want to limit any transportation time away from the airport.

Am embarrassed to even ask this question.....if you had only week (more or less) with 2 adults + 2 teens, and given my above criteria......what cities would you choose?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

I'd chose Rome - its the capital city and has the classic landmarks. Then I'd choose as my second Sorrento. This would be a contrast to Rome , a seaside retreat where you can day trip to Capri or to the Amalfi coast viewing the magnificent cliff hugging dwellings and visit Pompeii. You can fly into Rome and later travel to Sorrento via the fast train to Naples( it was just under 2 hours) followed by a local train service that takes near an hour to Sorrento. Perhaps flying home you could fly from Naples??

Edited: 19 July 2014, 15:15
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

I love "ontheGOAgain's recommendation.

Make sure you go for a walk in the evening in Sorento, as they close the main street and everyone goes out for a stroll before and after dinner, real good exposure to La Dolce Vita. Good exposure to the Italian way of life.

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

Rome was my choice as arrival city, but I was struggling with a 2nd city. Based on research I have been doing, Sorrento will be a GREAT destination, and will fit my needs exactly! Bonjour and Onthegoagain - your comments are very much appreciated.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 16:37
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

I wouldn't go to two cities with only a week to spend. I would pick one city and stay there. Rome has a ton of things to offer that can keep you busy for much longer than a week. Staying in one city will also allow you to easily do day trips without packing everything up and moving to a new location.

donna

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

...Or you could fly into Venice and spend a few days, then take the train to Rome for the rest of your stay, and fly home from Rome. Sorrento is lovely...but after the second day you've basically seen the town, where as Venice can be wandered about for days. But...while in Sorrento one could always take day trips to the Amalfi coast, Capri, or Pompeii. Still, I would personally opt for Venice. Have a great trip!

6. Re: 1 week in Italy with 2 teens....Top 2 Cities??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:16